Wilma FB project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Wilma FB project

Post by Brett027 »

Winter 2020 is fast approaching. Decided to strip off all body shell paint ( paint stripper, then sanding) and get a bit of primer on. Aim was to get some paint on to protect shiny surfaces. Will finish filler off in Spring. Last jobs on rotisserie. New brake and fuel lines installed, rear shocks installed. Move on to cradle now. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Final stage for now. A bit of mellow (Fernando) yellow! I must admit I really like this colour now. Also love how easy it is to cover stuff with acrylic. Did this paint in the last heat of autumn. Heat lamps after this. It took 2 years on and off to get here, but happy with it. Doing suspension, mechanical stuff now its cold. Front suspension next.ImageImageImageImage

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Wally. Can't wait to finish this one and get started on the EK ute. Less doors- its got to be easier!
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Latest job was to dig out rust behind passenger front door hinge supports and repair. Glad I opened it up cause there was some nastiness hiding there. That area of firewall and inner guards will be covered in spray on sound deadener soon. ImageImage

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

What did you say? “Nothing particularly notable”. Absolutely massive undertaking Brett. You have literally bought her back from the dead mate! Very thorough job and all looks very well executed. Fantastic work. The Fernando yellow looks great in gloss acrylic.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hey Clay, you're making me blush!
There's plenty I've seen on this forum more involved than this. There is a scale thing happening though!
Yes, the paint colour will come up nicely when its fully coated and buffed. The original paint on the car ( it had been resprayed at least once) was much greener and I was dreading staying with the factory colour if that was it, but I like this a lot. The Arctic Beige insert will go well too I hope.
Anyway, I feel like I'm pulling my weight in the forum now instead of just taking it in.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

:thumbsup:
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK DAZ »

Truly Stunning, coming from a Boilermaker/Welder, You have a gift. Look forward to seeing it completed, Regards Daz.
EK DAZ
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Patrick, thanks Daz. Much appreciated.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Great work Brett,
Lots of inspiration there for someone contemplating a build. The colour looks nice too.
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Stephen. Hopefully useful to someone like many have been for me.

Pulled front suspension apart yesterday. Wouldn't have believed it but more rust repairs!

Already replaced all brake parts, rubbers, seals and bearings on the back axle and springs, same approach on the front.

Plan for today is to paint all the bits under lightsImage. Love my heat lights, I get warm too. Inside spring housing coated with POR15, then everything in acrylic. I've learnt the hard way not to let POR dry before recoating. Nothing sticks to it unless its still tacky. Also high acidity etch primer works better than standard etch.

One pleasant surprise- both springs were intact. I was expecting at least one broken one. Nice green painted tops and 2 nylon insulators on drivers side, just like the manual said.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Bloody hell it never ends this rust.

Very interested in these heat lights you speak of. You are able to get a good result painting panels in high fill and colour below 18C?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Clay, I have 2 sets of lights. One with six 250 bulbs on an adjustable stand and one set of 4 that I just hang from roof or rest on things. I painted the firewall using just the 6 light one last week when it was 13c outside. Before booths became compulsory for panel beaters in late 70s they pretty much only used heat lights. Works for acrylic, no idea about mysterious 2 pack stuff. ImageImage

Sucker for a rusty bomb
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Brett,

Where's the centre of gravity of a sedan body shell? Clay tells me it's about at the height of the fuel filler.

Rob
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Rob, I don't know. I just hooked up rotisserie where I had mounting points available. Then adjusted heights on mounts so that I could spin it without any obvious stresses and so it cleared everything when I rotated the car. At the end of each day I would spin car back to normal position just in case. Using the rear spring holes meant it swivelled and so had a bit of give. Not so on bonnet hinge bolt mounts.
Not very scientific but worked for me.
Sucker for a rusty bomb