Wilma FB project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Wilma FB project

Post by Brett027 »

I have been working on Wilma for 2 years on and off and have decided to bite the bullet. I'm sure there will be nothing new come out of this post, but it's only fair to put something out there, given I have received so much from the forum to help me.

Wilma was a serendipitous find that came about from a cup of coffee while holidaying with my wife Kate on the NSW south coast in March 2019 for a week. To fill in time I grabbed a copy of Just Cars ( I think a basket purchase was underway in the shop next door) and there she was! I had only recently retired and we both agreed I needed a project: I'm suspicious there were motives involved here that I was unaware of.

A phone call and a few extra pictures sent and the deal was done. it probably wasn't the best deal I'd ever made, but the car was an FB and it was more or less complete (annoyingly less as it turned out). 4 days later and she arrived on a tilt tray to change my life forever.
My first sighting of Wilma. Photographers beware. I knew the street and house number because of this photo long before the owner was convinced I was buying.
My first sighting of Wilma. Photographers beware. I knew the street and house number because of this photo long before the owner was convinced I was buying.
1546839159_img_0298.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 5196 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Re: Wilma FB project

Post by Brett027 »

Astute observers may notice there are a few things awry. Like there was no outer sill. A few more photos showed a mixed bag of the good the bad and the ugly.
There was an engine. A mighty grey. A Repco reconditioned motor that had done 12k miles.
There was an engine. A mighty grey. A Repco reconditioned motor that had done 12k miles.
1546839162_img_0307.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 5195 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

There was a complete interior that gave me confidence that this was going to be straightforward enough. Many years ago I had restored an EH Premier (never got over the tan leather bucket seats and the centre consol), a HR Special ( well, not really that special), a 1928 Chev. Businessman's Roadster, and the one I most regret letting go now, an LJ GTR that I bought for $500 when it was 3 years old 'cause it had had a minor disagreement with a power pole. That GTR ran some amazing times between Richmond and Forbes that are best not remembered now I s'pose. Oh, I forgot the British Racing Green MGB Mk1. Anyway, I've had the good fortune to muck about fixing up cars in my younger days. To set the scene a little but more, I worked occasionally for a panel beater to help pay my way through uni in the late 70s and early eighties (the Chev and Torana benefited from that access at the time. I've still got those tools and even some wet and dry.
Anyway back to Wilma. Kate instantly christened her Wilma when she opened the back door and could see a lot of driveway. Wilma as in the Flintstones having no floor feet powered cars. It seemed appropriate.
Attachments
1546839164_img_0297.jpg
1546839164_img_0297.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 5191 times
1546839163_img_0295.jpg
1546839163_img_0295.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 5191 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Obviously the first thing you do when you get a new toy is take it for a ride. I fixed up a fuel supply, checked oil and water, bled the clutch, checked I had a handbrake and went for a drive on our block. The engine was quiet, not smoky or fumey I had all the gearbox ratios and the diff diffed. I was in heaven. I reminisced about being a passenger in my dads FB maybe 55 years before. Having belted around for 5 minutes I drove her in the newly extended shed (just for Wilma) and parked her in her new home, for what has become a few years longer than my ambition.

In April 2018 The strip down began.

I was bloody lucky the engine didn't stay in the paddock! It was at this time I discovered that early Holden's have issues with what this Forum describes as the 'K Frame'. As I stripped bits off Wilma, I discovered that life for the next little while was going to be all about rust, cutting, grinding and welding.
Attachments
IMG_20190413_084707.jpg
IMG_20190413_084707.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
IMG_20190330_100328.jpg
IMG_20190330_100328.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
IMG_20190317_165842.jpg
IMG_20190317_165842.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

So began a relationship with Rare Spares that continues to this day and is mutually beneficial. I quickly worked out that a full set of arms and cross pieces was not going to solve a big hungry space under the battery tray, and numerous gaps where the firewall connects. Thus began a short but productive relationship with Flynn's wrecking yard at Cooma. I've never had to pay to walk through a wrecking yard before, and a less than energetic vendor promised me that even if I found a good K frame, he may not be inclined to sell it. I had not previously encountered such enthusiasm for a sale, but paid my $10 bucks and went for a stroll. My mission was to find a good frame that was on a car that was already cut up and not complete. Fortunately a cute little EK hydramatic with no rear end exposed herself to me and after much negotiation and cajoling it was agreed that if they could find the time, I may be able to pick it up in 2 weeks. Lucky for me I did.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

My K frame donor from Flynn's and Wilma being undressed in mid 2018ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Just a tease: what it looks like today. ImageImage

Last edited by Brett027 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Effectively that is 2 k frames and Rare Spares and some new sheet metal. I'm confident the engine won't fall out this time.

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Good on you. About time Brett. Steering wheel and horn bar look complete, so that’s good. That’s about the worst subframe rust I remember seeing. Have you got the side flash chrome and what’s the plan for the interior? Will you try and source the fleck vinyl?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Must say you’ve got it, her, looking good. Body colour firewall always looks good. It’s not an Adelaide body is it?

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Clay. I have all the trim. Car came with it pretty much but sourced better bits from all over the country! I Don't have the patience to deal with SMS so got a trimmer in Calalla Bay (Peter Woodlands) to do the seats and door trims. I also have Project 2 upholstery done but car itself is years away! I like to have stuff sitting ready.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (602.75 KiB) Viewed 5175 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (574.01 KiB) Viewed 5175 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes its an Adelaide bod. 3062A
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Nitro paint? Got the ek wiper motor conversion I notice.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Upholstery looks very good. Yes I’m not patient enough for SMS either. I like the fleck vinyl but not a huge fan of FB upholstery styling. Whereas the EK styling really does it for me. I like the tuck and roll also, featured in FC.

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

No Clay its acrylic paint. Fernando Yellow with Arctic Beige insert. I'm familiar and comfortable using acrylic, its forgiving and relatively cheap. And importantly for the current conditions, I can splash it on under heat lamps.
Sucker for a rusty bomb