Wilma FB project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Wilma FB project

Post by Harv »

Mystery solved.

5413-H for FX-FC kingpins.
5414-H for FB-HD kingpins.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:04 am Mystery solved.

5413-H for FX-FC kingpins.
5414-H for FB-HD kingpins.

Cheers,
Harv
And there we have it, numbers sorted!

I actually rang Warren & Brown this morning asking if the carried stock of the carbide inserts… not an item they carry obviously any more.

However they recommend calling a mob in Melbourne who overhaul alot of their old tooling and apparently it’s the best bet at getting any spare parts.

CVO Machinery Thomastown Vic
03 9464 1444
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Brett027 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:13 pm The one I said I would lend to you is fully adjustable for any FB/EK king pin issue. You just need to be careful and measure every minute cut as you go. Sounds to me from what you described Drew, that you only need to take off a burr that you made: do you really need to ream them at all? King pins are the most robust suspension part ever made in my view.
Brett yesterday I stripped the second king pin which was a hell of a lot more stubborn to split apart than the first.
The pin is corroded badly and the thrust bearing is rusted beyond salvation also.

So I’m saying that I’ll be buying an overhaul kit and fixing both king pins so they are new again, so yes I’ll definitely need to ream the bush’s now.

Messaged you back mate, much appreciated
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

If you haven't bought the pin kit maybe consider the Rares reco stub axles?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Took Wilma for a drive with Chev mate to Gundaroo. Purred like a kitten. Image

Last edited by Brett027 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Brett027 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:28 am If you haven't bought the pin kit maybe consider the Rares reco stub axles?

I asked them about that and they said they don’t do them.
No part number in the computer, but they had a single EH unit on the shelf.

I’ll just do it myself, I can imagine they will be at least $500 for the pair which I don’t want to pay.
Drew
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Nice Brett. Would have turned a few heads, got tongues wagging.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Brett027 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:09 pm The final product. May have to trim it, but I think it will work. Bracket made from Rares boot channel rust repair section cut down. Rubber from Clarkes: 2 sections glued at right angles. Curved light pieces from Better Auto Rubbers( they were also 2 glued sections). Trim press-in clips for light sections, stainless screws for straight bracket section.
Not sure yet if I'll glue up the overlaps or not. I will fill small gaps in each inner corner. ImageImageImage

Thanks for posting these photos, I have been thinking how to get this job done and you have shown me the solution.

How much dust / how necessary is this job to have done?
Just wondering if it’s worth doing now considering I’m tight on time or if I should just leave it for later on.

Does it actually do anything?
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Took poor old neglected Wilma for a cruise to Braidwood and back on Sunday afternoon. Kate and no.2 pooch came along for the ride and we went with our '52 Chev friends. Ran out of petrol on way back 😁. I may live this down one day, but not in the forseable future.

A bit of an absence and reaquainting myself with her has produced a list of improvements to be undertaken before putting her on the market. These are:

-Replace original fuel sender.
-Replace steering column shaft with Rares reconditioned one set asside for Project 2. Steering is just too loose in the straight ahead position to inflict it on potential buyer.
- Swap rear door scratch plates with Project2 so that all 4 on Wilma match.
- Swap rear bumper overiders over from EK to FB.
- Fix passenger side door lock so that it raises button.
- Install brake booster previously purchased but not installed.
- Fix heater water tap cable.
- Tidy up 2 paint chips that occured when windscreens were installed.
-Finish buffing paint and polish.

Other than that I am very pleased with her. Motor is freeing up and is very responsive for a standard grey. No whines or other mechanical issues. Kate was very keen on Wilma's front bench seat and is happy that I am temporarily ditching the bucket seats in Project 2 in favour of a bench.

Photo of Wilma in afternoon light gracing the historic main street of Braidwood.
Attachments
IMG_7578.jpg
IMG_7578.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 704 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Looks to me like she is ready for a drive to Nuriootpa…….
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Bench seat very romantic. Look out Brett... 8 ) 8 )

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, and I remember you pointed that out some time ago Clay. Presumably learned from rich life experiences😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Bit the bullet and pulled Wilma's steering box today.

I can confirm that it is not possible to remove the column into the cab. The pitman shaft extension gets tangled up either in the subframe bits or the engine.
However with all the inside cabin bits taken off the column, it is fairly easy to pull it out the engine bay.
To do the job I had to undo wiring from dip-switch and reversing switch, take off gear levers and of course use a puller to remove the pitman arm. Had to remove dash instruments panel to get access to the column ubolt.

My doubts were confirmed that the Rares rebuild kit pitman shaft does not work because they have sliced off the adjustment cage. I thought it might work anyway by screwing down the adjuster. However, the adjuster thread disapears into the top plate to get it adjusted and then there is no thread to put the lock nut on. I will be taking an old and their new shaft to my Canberra Rares dealer to discuss this tomorrow. I did raise it as a potential problem when I got the kit some months ago, but thought I'd try it anyway. Fortunately my pitman shaft is pretty good to re-use but it's not acceptable to me to sell a kit that doesn't work. The problem bit in Wilma was the worm drive on the shaft being worn, so the kit at least supplied a replacement piece for this. I can always pull the pitman shaft and replace it with the column still installed in the car at a later date if Rares sort this out. A few pics of progress and the offending shaft. The clean old shaft is a spare. The one with red grease is Wilma's one going back in.

Putting it back in after lunch. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Following with interest Brett. I will bring this up with Roger Hancock when I get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes it's so frustrating on some Rares bits. For some reason they just fall short on some bits, but on others are spot on. I would be keen to understand why they cut those bits off and thought it didnt matter.
Sucker for a rusty bomb