Wilma FB project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Wilma FB project

Post by Brett027 »

I think what happened is that the front wheels were aimed 5 inches or so to the right and the left. He said the car would have been crabbing along the road with the front and back heading in different directions. The laser dots were hitting the wall behind, way off the measuring board of the alignment gizmo. I might have it all arse about but that's the gist of what the mechanic said I think. He adjusted the tie rod arms until they were in line with the rears and then he did the toe-in. At that point I could see the red dots on the charts😀.
I am struggling to see how the back axle could have been on a parallel but different trajectory too when I think about it. But, that's how he described it.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Brett027 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:55 pm King pin day. Quite a bit of fiddly stuff, not the least of which is getting the plugs off the ends. Used a nice little grinding wheel on the Dremel to tidy up the punch marks and lift them out. Knocked out the pin ( you can only do this one way- see picture🤭) and then the tricky bit of getting the old bushes out. I cheated a bit and used a die to almost cut through them to make it easier. Jammed a screw driver in the back of the cut edge and levered then out. If I had a press I would have used that.
New bushes into the freezer for an hour or two before start and after that they tap in pretty easy. Marked the top so I could ensure grease hole lined up with nipple point.
Bushes tapped in with nylon faced hammer as punch until level with hole, then socket as punch.
Reaming is tedious and slow, I've learnt lessons previously on rushing reaming and then suddenly being oversize, so many small steps and lots of measuring.
Final fit up and then a coat of paint. Pictures tell the story. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I spy with my little eye Brett!

You have got the reamer that I’m trying to get my little hands on.
I thought my king pins were pretty good until I went to fit them, they have clearance on the thrust washer of .016” so I need to shim them to get the knocking out of them.

Pin to bush clearance is ok but I have burred the bushes knocking the pins out.

Bloody not easy finding these reamers anymore!

Clay and Rodger are asking around locally in Adelaide on my behalf to try to find one, but if I have no luck could I do a deal with you to borrow it?

Drew
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Sure😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

I've got two here. One is a Warren and Brown 5413-H Holden king pin bush reamer (methinks FJ) and another one unlabeled. Need to do my homework and identify the other one somehow.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Brett027 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:11 amSure😀
Legend!
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:53 am I've got two here. One is a Warren and Brown 5413-H Holden king pin bush reamer (methinks FJ) and another one unlabeled. Need to do my homework and identify the other one somehow.

Cheers,
Harv
Well one thing is for sure, I’m up a creek without a paddle with out one!
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Both mine are W&B, but only one marked. Both are 0.727 main bore (plus whatever the ream blade cuts) and 0.605 pilot. Blade is single sided, so hard to measure actual cutting diameter.

One is probably not recoverable... loaned it to one of the humpy gents, who managed to break the blade. He replaced it with a carbide cutter, but no longer any idea what it reams to. Guess you could shim it out with some trial and error on some trial holes.
reams.jpg
reams.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 515 times
Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

The W&B reamers are adjustable, but it's like adjusting the brakes on a Mini (there is no sneeze factor at all). A micrometer and patience are required.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Brakes on a Mini... don't remind me :oops: :lol:

Interestingly, the GMH Service manuals for FX/FJ call up tool 3A3 for the reaming, then from FE onwards ask for "a suitable reamer". Are the pilot/ream sizes similar (or the same) for FE-HD? W&B call up only a single reamer for Holden... wonder if one size fits all with some suitable adjusting?

W&B ream advertisement.jpg
W&B ream advertisement.jpg (974.69 KiB) Viewed 506 times

Cheers,
Harv
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

There was a young man from Devizes, whose (redacted) were of different sizes . . .

The picture of Tool 3A3 in the FJ shop manual is a dead ringer for the W&B reamer. FX-FC king pins are 0.7305-0.7310" diameter. FB-HD king pins are 0.8020-0.8025" diameter, and the EK shop manual has no reference to Tool 3A3. But W&B did make a reamer for the larger size king pin bushes.

Rob
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

These piloted reamers are certainly works of art in their own way!

I can confirm my FB king pins are .802” and I’m unsure which reamer is exactly required for the job.

Harv your reamers base are .727 and Rob has said the early pins are .730… Knowing these facts it makes me think that your reamer Harv are suited to the early pins.

But surely a reamer would have more than .003” clearance in the bore that is is cutting???

Harv does the carbide cutter raise .070” or more?
If so it would tell me it’s designed to cut the .802 bores.
So your reamers could be to suit the larger pins.

Honestly mate I’d be prepared to have a test of it and let you know what results I find.

I wonder if Waaren and Brown would stock spares for these old school tools?
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

The one I said I would lend to you is fully adjustable for any FB/EK king pin issue. You just need to be careful and measure every minute cut as you go. Sounds to me from what you described Drew, that you only need to take off a burr that you made: do you really need to ream them at all? King pins are the most robust suspension part ever made in my view.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yep, suspect my two are for the early kingpins.

If you get a chance Brett, can you please measure the pilot and ream diameters (less the cutter)?

Cheers,
Harv
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

Talking Reamers, I got lucky, real lucky a few years ago. I went to the Bendigo swap and the mate i was with asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. my answer was an adjustable king pin reamer. Would you believe it, the very first stall we stopped at inside the gate - there was my reamer - my hands were shaking when i picked it up - got it for $30 bucks!!!! and almost new. The other thing i wanted was a metric thread chaser and got that at about the third stall in - for $10. Never had that luck before or since. Cheers, Fraze
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Harv, pilot is 3/4 inch. Reamer is a Warren and Brown 5414-H type.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb