Gearbox rebuild

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

RobinGi
State: VIC

Gearbox rebuild

Post by RobinGi »

Just put a rebuild kit in a standard grey gearbox
Problem is I can't fit in all the roller bearings that came in the kit, out of the 3 sets of roller bearings in the gearbox i have one roller bearing that wont fit in each so I have 3 left over (2 small & 1 large) with the bearings in place there's a gap of about 2/3 of a bearing width

The rebuild kit came with a 2nd 3rd gear replacement shaft that fits perfectly
Gearbox serial number L355486

Has anyone else had problem /advice on these kits ?

Holden FX 48-215 FJ FE FC FB EK Grey 132 138 Gearbox Rebuild Kit Heavy Duty
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Post by Harv »

The counter gear holds 19 of the little rollers at each end (total of 38 rollers). Diameter 1/8".
The clutch gear main shaft pilot holds 13 of the larger rollers. Diameter 3/16".

The various kits come with a suprising number of the little rollers. The NASCO kit I got had 28 (but I assume had been robbed over the years), CBC Bearings had 40, Rares had 40, and Status Engineering had 43. If I am counting the eBay photo right, your kit came with 45.

No matter how hard you try, you'll only need 38.

The gap is a worry. The rollers should nest up against each other... 2/3 of a roller gap sounds large.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

When I had mine done the rollers in it were incorrect and there was a gap - re-builder thought that one of the kits out there has wrong rollers as the nos he gad were different slightly - no idea what kit that was though sorry

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

The horse has probably bolted, but -

I'd be inclined to re-use as many of your original components as possible. If the needle rollers show no signs of pitting or overheating, and if the bearing surfaces on the inside of the cluster gear are not pitted, then the needle rollers are good for re-use. You could measure your original cluster gear shaft to check for wear (and if it's pitted then it's no good). The replacement cluster shaft would be OK to use, though.

If you've gone to all the trouble of rebuilding your gearbox, I'd recommend a double-row mainshaft bearing.

Rob
RobinGi

Post by RobinGi »

Put the old needle rollers in a bag on the bench and its taken me a week to find them exactly where I left them :oops:

Anyhow measured the old Vs new
	Old	New	Difference	
Large	4.755	4.765	0.01	MM
Small	3.16	3.18	0.02	MM

such a small difference shouldn't cause the problem that I'm having, guessing i'll have to strip it down again and do some more measuring.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Robin I’ll be following what you are doing here as I will be freshening up my crash box soon.

Did you have a chance to investigate the roller bearing issue any further as yet?
Drew
RobinGi

Post by RobinGi »

I found that the bearings couldn't be pushed in from the side but did slide down from the top

But the smaller bearings were so tight that they wouldn't turn, took me ages to get them out again as they were jammed in tight. the larger bearing seemed to turn OK so i left it in

Contacted the seller whom had the same ID as the manufacturer of the product so i assumed it was someone within the company

Their response was "that doesn't sound right" and asked what model vehicle I was rebuilding, I replied FB and have had no further communication from them.