Warmaride heater resto

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Jonty
State: SA

Warmaride heater resto

Post by Jonty »

Hi all

I have this heater for my FB that needs a bit of love. I've got hold of Harv's heater document which has been really helpful, and I think this is a fresh air version. The heater core seems fairly solid, but the outer casing has a bit of rust. I'd like to strip the rust and repair the hole in the casing but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone advise a good approach? I'd like to preserve the textured finish of the original casing.

Cheers, Nathan
Attachments
heater underside.JPG
heater underside.JPG (81.17 KiB) Viewed 398 times
heater inside.jpg
heater inside.jpg (115.41 KiB) Viewed 398 times
heater front.jpg
heater front.jpg (384.73 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Errol62

Re: Warmaride heater resto

Post by Errol62 »

Pull it apart and soak body in citric acid solution Nathan. After 24 hours you can blast clean with pressure washer. Lucky the hole is in the back so repair mainly needs to be functional rather than cosmetic. I would make a patch to suit, trace it on to the body, cut out and butt weld in with copper or ally heat sink under to get it flat. Take your time and keep it cool with damp rag and quench heat sink in a bucket.

I’m sure the wrinkle finish paint effect can be reproduced, either from a rattle can or talk to your local paint supplier. Steve at Lonsdale paints is helpful if you’re out this side.

I’ve got the same one, probably to put in my van. I painted it in hammertone years ago as I didn’t like the dowdy grey wrinkle finish. I’d say the colour is likely clinker grey, available in acrylic by formula and just an additive for the wrinkle effect.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If you go easy on the cleanup, the hammer tone texture will stay... it is damn hard. Might get away with putting enamel lightly over the top.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Last edited by Errol62 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Thanks Clay - i considered using citric acid but wasn't sure if it would be too harsh, particulary given I don't know what metal the heater is made from. Will mix some up and take it slowly. As for welding it, I'll cut a patch from a rust repair panel and see what I can do...

Cheers, Nathan