Measurements required

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Clinker42
State: VIC

Measurements required

Post by Clinker42 »

Guys, help needed from someone who’s got 15 inch wheels and tyres and a sensible ride, not really low but a height that’s legal and no policemen would ever look twice at.
I need two measurements

Distance from bottom of sill panel to ground taken from approx 650 mm forward of the diff centreline

Distance from floor to ground taken from where the floor meets back of the car

Your help is greatly appreciated as I’m getting two chassis rails bent up but our car is sitting on a rotisserie gutted.

Thanks Trevor
gpi

Re: Measurements required

Post by gpi »

Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

Hi GPi, what’s that link for.
That’s the guide to modified vehicles, I need measurements so I know my bend angles needed for my chassis rails.i have all my back end cut out ready to start fabricating the 4 link but don’t have any measurements so I can bend the chassis rails to suit the front 4 link bracket heights and shock x member height

Trev
Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

Ok GPi, I think I get where your coming from, are you thinking about legal ride height.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

My EK wagon runs 15" wheels. The ride height is OK (Blacky and Devilrod would not approve :lol: ), and it passed engineering.

Distance from bottom of sill panel to ground taken from approx 650 mm forward of the diff centreline: 255mm.

Distance from floor to ground taken from where the floor meets back of the car: not sure what this is, or if my wagon meausurement would help you?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

Harv, thanks heaps, that’s one measurement done.
Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

so can anyone help me out with the floor to ground measurement at the back of the car.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I can measure whatever you need... but my measurements will come from a wagon. Is that OK for what you need to do?

If it is OK, I need some help to understand what "where the floor meets back of the car" is. Describe it for me, or take a photo and show me.

I could measure on a sedan or ute for you, but my sedan and ute run 13" wheels.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

Harv, where the rear chassis rails meet the rear beaver panel. If you can get me the distance from the top or the bottom of the chassis rail to the floor, that would be fantastic

Trev
Harv

Post by Harv »

OK, I think I am measuring what you are after.

The factory subframe rails run along the length of the car, and curve up and back down the wheel arches (in the wheel arch, those rails mount the bumpstops). The rails continue back from the wheelarch, and mount the rear spring hanger. About 6" back from the spring hanger the subframe rails end, and a subframe member runs across the back of the car (passengers-to-drivers side) just before the beaver panel. The sheetmetal used to form the rails and member have a small flange at this point. I measured from the ground up to the bottom of the rail near the flange, and got 450mm.

Cheers,
Harv
Clinker42

Post by Clinker42 »

Cheers Harv, yep that’s the place.

That’s heaps for that, I can start bending now.