Product Review - Deox C

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

parisian62
State: NSW

Product Review - Deox C

Post by parisian62 »

You’ve seen the ads…you know the ones…promising those miracle fix alls cures and maybe even a set of steak knives thrown in for good measure… We all hate rust...right? Right! So when I stumbled across this product called Deox–C stating that “Deox-C penetrates into any crevices and flaws to remove corrosion completely” I was suitable impressed and also more then a little sceptical…it sounded too good…the before and after pictures on the internet looked too convincing…but I was a little intrigued…So what is Deox-C???

From the website…“Dexo-C is a crystalline, 100% active corrosion removal product formulated for the removal of corrosion products from steel, stainless steel and most ferrous materials. This product when dissolved in tap water, produces a bath of powerful rust removing liquid. Deox-C is extremely economical, for example just 1 kilogram of Deox C makes up to 20 litres of powerful rust removing bath. It will remove very heavy corrosion, but is safe to use on even the most delicate items. It is suitable for any object that can be completely immersed. Deox-C is harmless, non toxic and biodegradable.”

OK by now I was hooked, so off I went and parted with my $50 and got myself a kilo bottle of Deox-C. Not cheap but remember this stuff mixes 1 to 19 parts water. The next available Saturday I decided to give it a go. Following the instructions I found a suitable plastic container and added my 19 parts hot water and 1 part Deox-C and gave it a good mix to dissolve all the white crystals. Then the BIG decision – what part? Well it wasn’t hard to find something seeing most of my EK wagon and parts are covered in the dreaded rust. I picked out a rear suspension hanger, a exhaust hanger, a rear door hinge and other bits gave them a quick once over with a wire brush and wire scourer and dropped them into the bath. Unfortunately I didn’t take any before pics but believe me there were covered in rust. A couple of hours later I checked on them…nothing! Yes sure there were a few bubbles floating to the top but all the rust was still quite happy covering the parts. Feeling rather annoyed I closed the garage door and thought to myself another $50 wasted…

Next morning I ventured back into the garage hoping to find a change. I pulled the rear suspension hanger out of the bath to reveal…no rust…zip, zero, nil, nothing, naught…all gone! I couldn’t believe it. I grabbed a wire scourer and with a bit of elbow grease I began to clean the part under running water to clean it up further. The solution had removed all the rust and also removed any remaining paint…which is OK by me as I had planned to respray the parts from bare metal. I pulled out more parts…the rust was all gone! After cleaning it under the running water I dropped the parts back into the bath for a couple of minutes which has given them a protective film until I get around to prepsol, deoxidine and then painting.

Postscript…I’ve continued to use the original bath of Deox-C now for over a month. During that time the bath has had parts in it, sometimes not. As stated in the instructions Deox-C begins to lose its strength over time and the solution is now looking black and its capabilities are nearly exhausted. I have found this method of rust removal is good if you don’t need to paint and use the item immediately. It may not be for everyone - I thought I would share my experience

I bought my Deox-C from V.G’s Auto and Panel Beating Supplies at 11 Amax Avenue Girraween. You can also purchase it directly from PPC see below. Oh and I also have to, of course, state that I don’t work for Bilt Hamber or have any commercial or sponsorship association with any business mentioned in this article :)

For more technical information on Deox-C have a look at the following web pages…
http://www.bilthamber.com/
http://www.ppc.au.com/

Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Stuart,
The article you have just compiled is gold!
I cant think of anything better than leaving parts to soak to come back rust free.
You have sold me and Ill be buying a tin of that stuff ASAP.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

looks great have you tried it on anything that is chromed with rust on it
may also be good for getting rid of that anoying rusty water stain that comes out of the radiator that nothing will shift :D
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

I'll be off to get some of that, thanks Stewart, Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Sounds like good stuff. :D

There was an old recipe for paint/rust removal I found in Restored Cars magazine a few years ago that used molassis and water to remove rust and paint.

It gave a caution that it was good for ferrous ( Steel ) parts but if there was any brass, aluminium or die cast parts still attached to the steel parts that required rust/paint removal then they must be removed before the steel parts are placed in the bath otherwise the non ferrous parts would be damaged.

Something to maybe think about if you have some rare and hard to get parts still attached to the part needing derusted.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

No worries. I hope it can help some people. Just remember if you do buy some to fully read the instructions and not rely on my article. A couple of things from memory I didnt say was it recommends using warm-hot water when dissolving the mixture. Properly degrease any items before placing in the solution as this will extend the solutions life. 'Test' part of an item before dropping it inand leaving it. Dont go dropping it on any new paint work...

Ratbox - no havn't used it on chromed parts.

Terry - I've used molasses too with varying degrees of success. Molasses isnt self limiting to only the rust and will eat metal - maybe as you say the diffference between ferrous and no ferrous? I accidently left 2 brackets that hold the front door locks in place and came back a month later to find them just about eaten away... :roll:

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

was telling a bloke about this stuff today and he mentioned the molasses thing
stewart the door lock brackets sounds like a hommer simpson moment DOH :lol:
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

Thanks Stuart, Great info on the product.
I'm looking at a better way than the battery charger for rust removal, cause you have to keep watching it + the undue need to waist electricity.

Regards John
rosco
State: VIC

radaar

Post by rosco »

Thanks from all of us Stewart,
I am hoping others will report their findings on this wonder product.
I have for many years tried and tried "new" products only to find as you originally suspected, to have been fleeced by intelligent "marketing".

It is refreshingly comforting to hear that one every now and again seems to work.
I will avail myself of the product and subject it to scrutiny.

This one seems to have slipped in under my "radaar" - I wonder if my "supplier" is aware of it - or maybe the company isn't on their list of preferred suppliers.
Last one they tried to convert me to was "Rust-tech" - used it once.......

thanks again Stewart,
will report when I get back on my old bus's case - having some timeout for a while in other projects.
frats,
Rosco