Accelerator pedal fail

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: Accelerator pedal fail

Post by FJWALLY »

Yes that right - just one tac weld keeping the lever to the shaft - The original I had as you say is just about welded all the way around both sides
gpi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:24 am so there is only 1 weld on one side?

factory has 4 welds - both sides on both the up and down position
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I caught up with Dave Ryan from Rares today. I'd sent him a PM a while back (earlier in this thread) about the crappy welds on the accelerator pedals. Rares has since pulled their stock, and had them rectified.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Good work Harv - much better response then the guy gave me in the shop.
gpi

Post by gpi »

maybe it would be easier if we just posted on fxfj forum with rares products defects

or we could start one here...they sure dont respond to emails through their website
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rares are not a bad mob, though they sell via franchises. The service you get depends on the franchichee's attitude (or that of their workers). Rares does do mystery shopper type assessments, though I guess they can't catch everything. I've only ever dealt with the Sydney franchise, initially in near town and later once they moved out near Blacktown. They have had the odd bloke behind the counter who didn't get it, but most of the time they are pretty damn good. Any complaint I have raised they dealt with on the spot.

Les McVreigh, one of the Rares founders, was also pretty good to deal with. I contacted him through the FX/FJ forum, and later through email. Once Les passed away, I started talking with Dave Ryan, one of the Rares directors. Same kind of conversation - knows his early Holdens, and more than happy to fix stuff that isn't right.

Perhaps the best way is to PM Dave via the FX/FJ forum. That gives them the chance to address issues without tempting people to bait them. A good example would be the windscreen rubbers. I tried, and tried, and tried to get the Better Auto rubber in, and failed abysmally. Dad had a go, and he couldn't get it either. It wasn't the rubber... it was me. When Jim the Windscreen Whisperer put the Better Auto rubber in, it was perfect. Would have been very easy to blame the rubber.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Harv wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 pm Perhaps the best way is to PM Dave via the FX/FJ forum.
this is the best advice
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Guys,

I bought some door rubbers a couple of weeks ago and pulled the right rear outer out of the pack and it was a left one. Went back to Prospect where I bought it and got a funny look at first but they swapped it anyway. I got back home and opened the next packet and damn it was the wrong side again !
This time the look was oh shit there something wrong. I made the sales guy open the next 3 packets and they were all wrong, marked right rear but were all left rear. So another weeks wait and the right one showed up. My point here is a swap was no issue and if I didn't persist with opening the other packets the issue might have continued for a longer period of time. Business needs feedback because half the time they are unaware of issues unless they are highlighted such as the Windscreen rubber, pedal fail and wrongly packed items. Although I hate where everything is made this company has enabled me to keep my old girl going !!!!!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Dave is a genuine enthusiast and pretty helpful fella. And yeah get on the humpy forum to contact him.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

And thanks for doing the leg work Harv, or finger work?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I have no issue with the odd problem - Being a manufacturer myself I understand there is from time to time a mistake - what makes you a good or bad company is how you fix them - Rares like all companies should have a hard and fast rule for any return - it gets documented and entered into the system and sent up the line so all other franchises can instantly be alerted and head office can decide to pull it from sale or not and get it fixed/replaced.

What I would say to them though is the accelerator pedal is a pretty important part - I think they could spend a few more dollars on quality and charge a few more dollars at retail and customers would still be happy - it's current price is 19.95 which is dirt cheap - does it need to be that cheap?
EK283 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 pm Guys,

I bought some door rubbers a couple of weeks ago and pulled the right rear outer out of the pack and it was a left one. Went back to Prospect where I bought it and got a funny look at first but they swapped it anyway. I got back home and opened the next packet and damn it was the wrong side again !
This time the look was oh shit there something wrong. I made the sales guy open the next 3 packets and they were all wrong, marked right rear but were all left rear. So another weeks wait and the right one showed up. My point here is a swap was no issue and if I didn't persist with opening the other packets the issue might have continued for a longer period of time. Business needs feedback because half the time they are unaware of issues unless they are highlighted such as the Windscreen rubber, pedal fail and wrongly packed items. Although I hate where everything is made this company has enabled me to keep my old girl going !!!!!!!

Greg