Any one used Holley sniper EFI self tuning

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

Any one used Holley sniper EFI self tuning

Post by mph »

Gday. Happy for a open chat of all input
I like to have a few projects on the list and start collecting in my shed while doing others
I have my HR front,hg brakes in progress at the moment
Just ordered my aircon kit under dash and under bonnet.

But my next im about 1 morning coffee high or 10 beers at night from ordering a holley sniper efi two barrel version just depending on a couple things first
They say it suits up to 350hp which ill never see on this motor and self tunes no problems but also provisions to make a turbo red some time as they can do boost but boost you have to self input of map tunes.
Has any one used or installed one on a Red motor , cant see why you couldn't use on a grey motor either?
Reading up they have all the correct sensors , they don't use a crank angle sensor and simple wiring plus outputs for thermo fan or aircon
I would look forward to no smoking at start up , no fumes at traffic lights , no flat spots on take off , good economy or better , slight improvement on power and better throttle response and no dyno tuning bills been burnt by a few dyno tuners with other turbo projects ive built

So just looking for all EFI help and info so i can start slowly collecting or modifying.

My only concern or question is the FB EK fuel tank and systems

1st the system needs at least a 3/8” feed line and 3/8 "return line. which is fine but plumbing into the tank
Not sure on stock size line could maybe use oem line as a return line and install a new feed line or just two new ones?

2nd The kit can come with a holley external fuel pump and reg kit to suit sniper fuel pressure and system but it should be mounted as low to the lowest part of the tank as possible but looking at the FB the suction line isnt at the bottom of the tank and not sure if you can change the size ?

3rd installing the return line
They give you 20ft of rubber hose for a return but i think steel lines would be much better and safer option.

4th you do away with the mechanical fuel pump so you could run two new lines on the passenger side but how close is too close for the the lines coming near the exhaust headers up to the "efi carby" and rear chassis rail over the diff near the exhaust and shockie
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
TAZ
State: TAS

Re: Any one used Holley sniper EFI self tuning

Post by TAZ »

FAST do a similar system and they both get good reviews. You could always run a surge tank mounted next to and plumbed to the existing tank and then just use twin Bosch EFI pumps to the motor.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Some thoughts:

1st the system needs at least a 3/8” feed line and 3/8 "return line. which is fine but plumbing into the tank
Not sure on stock size line could maybe use oem line as a return line and install a new feed line or just two new ones?
You don't need 3/8" fuel line despite Holley's suggestion. 5/16" fuel line will feed 300 ponies with carb (5psi) pressure. You will be running 60psi, so the 5/16" line will flow a lot more. You do need a return line though. If you are going to run one line, you might as well run two and make them neatly parallel all the way. If you are going to run line, it may a well be 3/8". You could weld a new return nipple onto the tank, or can use a compression fitting (still have to drill, but not weld).

2nd The kit can come with a holley external fuel pump and reg kit to suit sniper fuel pressure and system but it should be mounted as low to the lowest part of the tank as possible but looking at the FB the suction line isnt at the bottom of the tank and not sure if you can change the size ?
The FB suction line has an internal pipe. It is as low as you want to go without sucking up silt and dead lizards. It is plenty big enough.

3rd installing the return line
They give you 20ft of rubber hose for a return but i think steel lines would be much better and safer option.
No.... hell no. Steel pipe all the way, short rubber connection at the end to allow the motor to torque.

4th you do away with the mechanical fuel pump so you could run two new lines on the passenger side but how close is too close for the the lines coming near the exhaust headers up to the "efi carby" and rear chassis rail over the diff near the exhaust and shockie
Run the lines on the drivers side of the car. Otherwise, heat shield them with sleeving.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

What Harv said. Driver side is less prone to damage from thrown up roadside debris as well.

I hear they are a great unit and bolt to factory two barrel manifold.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

also, less chance of a FBEKing BBQ!
mph

Post by mph »

Im wondering if the tank removal fuel gauge would have enough room to drill and squeeze the return line 6AN Bulkhead Fitting or if you would have to do it in the tank,? this would involve running the fuel line into the boot or if you would tap at the same height as the std outlet height like 80%.
As in the Holley fuel line pic the pic shows the first filter sucks from the outside of the bottom of the tank, not sure if having the pump at the bottom of the FB tank on the out side or mount it at the height of the std outlet of the FB tank as your said Harv the inlet in the tank sucks near the bottom .?
Or would you be able to use a VE fuel pump and set up like Blacky has used , would be quieter not sure what pressure the VE pumps but the sniper needs 58.5 psi
ImageImage
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It's all sounding a bit complicated with the stock tank Clint. I would keep it simple, use existing outlet with holley pump sucking, mounted on driver side inner subframe leg. Use a nutsert style thread to fit return at the base of the filler neck where it will dump in to free air. Jus t m y 2c worth.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

mph wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 pm Im wondering if the tank removal fuel gauge would have enough room to drill and squeeze the return line 6AN Bulkhead Fitting or if you would have to do it in the tank,?
Not much room in that fuel level sender for adding fuel lines:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 28&t=23085

this would involve running the fuel line into the boot or if you would tap at the same height as the std outlet height like 80%. As in the Holley fuel line pic the pic shows the first filter sucks from the outside of the bottom of the tank, not sure if having the pump at the bottom of the FB tank on the out side or mount it at the height of the std outlet of the FB tank as your said Harv the inlet in the tank sucks near the bottom .?
The standard tapping has an internal pipe... it goes waaaaaay lower than 80%, but still not on the bottom (to avoid dirt and dead lizards):
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612

Or would you be able to use a VE fuel pump and set up like Blacky has used , would be quieter not sure what pressure the VE pumps but the sniper needs 58.5 psi
VE Commodore version with no return line: https://www.efihardware.com/products/20 ... -Fuel-Pump
Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Robo

Post by Robo »

Hi MPH
The carb look alike injection is a bit raw compared to a stand alone ECU. I have a VC Valiant with a slant 6 and port injection and run a megasquirt ECU which has great tuneability. From my understanding the Carby look efi is not as friendly as far as fuel map , timing map, tuning as it runs from the o2 sensor map.
I run a VN commodore submerged fuel pump in mine and welded a fuel corral in the bottom to stop the surge , also ran a steel return line. For the fuel pump i made a thick steel flange and welded it to the original tank where the sender was and tweeked the pump (fitted a hi volume after market pump) and sender to suit. if you want a fuel pump flange making please PM me and i will water jet one for you at work. Hop this helps

Cheers- Rob
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I have used Holley projection and put the return into the filler neck of the tank. I made a turn down and brazed it in although my filler is custom made and connects to the tank with rubber sleeve.
I cant remember what size pipe I used pretty sure its 5/16, will have to measure it.

I'll get some more info and take some photos.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
EK283

Post by EK283 »

This is how I ran my fuel lines underneath along the chassis rail.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/downloa ... hp?id=9143

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
mph

Post by mph »

Errol Looking like i would remove the tank and have a proper fitting welded in the filler tube i think that would be the most simple and work ok

Harv , fitting the ve pump im still not sure it you can bung of the sniper efi "carby" return line and if the ve pump reg set std at 60 psi the holley reg is set at 58.5 and if it would push seals out or cause flooding type issues or dead heading the pump and burning it out. Holley do make a kit for no rerturn line but its external at the tank and still needs a line back in the tank just not all the way from the motor, so it still needs a return bung in the tank so might as well save extra $300 or $400 on that extra kit and run a $60 new line if avoiding ve pump setup and mods to fit it to the fb tank
I think a return line would be more simple but a ve pump would be more quiet plus need another regulator externally

Robo , mmm vc valiant my favourite val, i nearly bought a nice white one ,auto, quite flash but ended up grabbing a HR instead.Ive been reading about the mega squirt system tonight but it seems beyond me so many options and kits and i couldnt find much of a basic install program system, or plug and play does this need a dyno tuner or is it similar to sniper and Fitech systems, all my dyno experiences in the past have left me disappointed and ripped off, seems if you dont have a ls1 commy in for a fully sic tune you get put in the im not sure what to do with your setup basket, im not interested and given a rushed amateur get you out the door tune

I would like the idea of introducing 6 coilpacks and turning the dizzy into a trigger switch some how

Greg ive not heard of the Holley projection either but have been reading up about it tonight , thanks for the pic your undercarriage looks alot beefier than mine
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

VE Commode runs at 4 bar pressure which is the right pressure for the Holley setup . I had my tank modified by Tony Ellerby with internal baffles to help avoid starvation , it appears the VE pump has a kind of a swirl pot built into it as well.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Bit of an update only a year late, i knocked a few vehicle jobs off the list on the fb including the vintage air con / heater system up and running plus other vehicle projects.
Holley now offer a retro fit fuel pump with the option of return or return less pumps with built in regs and different hp ratings.
I know these are a basic efi setup but it should suit my application perfect, these can also take boost which is also on the long term list to add a turbo.
So i bit the bullet and ordered the gold sniper 2300 and accessories plus a returnless sniper pump.
I know guys have issues with these mostly due to rfi, user error or manifold length issue's on 6cyl. Ive also got a large cap dizzy ordered which i can mod and lock out to allow sniper to control timing.
I cant find any forums or info on any one doing these to a holden 6 red. Plenty of chevy and &*#@ 6cyl on the net. So it should be a interesting conversion.
Con is its a couple months wait for the kits n bits from the U.S.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.