After Market Heater

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

artyfartymarty
State: WA

After Market Heater

Post by artyfartymarty »

After having it age nicely in the box on a shelf for a few years, I've decided to install the after market heater.
heater 1.JPG
heater 1.JPG (171 KiB) Viewed 836 times
heater 2.JPG
heater 2.JPG (99.26 KiB) Viewed 836 times
heater 3.JPG
heater 3.JPG (88.33 KiB) Viewed 836 times
got a few q's for those wiser and in the know
1. thermostat outlet, planing on sticking the heater hoses on the left side outlets of the thermostat housing, which is water out and which is water in? assuming top is out ? the gates valve is direction specific apparently,
2. should i install the coolant valve in the cabin or the engine bay?
heater valve.JPG
heater valve.JPG (75.66 KiB) Viewed 836 times
3. where to attach this thing under the dash? normally I'm thinking such things would be installed in the middle and attached to the 2 holes under the dash lip, but i have 3 gauge cluster there and so thinking it may be a compromise and install it under the glove box like any other modern car, however the cardboard glove box isn't exactly structural. Do i need to make up bracket spanning between the firewall and the glove box hinge lip under the dash? anyone done similar?
4. what to use for hot air plumbing? im thinking PVC might end up looking like Dali's clocks but dont want to go to the extreme of mandrel bent 2 inch stainless pipe with blue silicone joiners.
5 there is no amount of lube and push that will get the heater hose through those firewall grommet hose orifices without tearing a rubber. lube and push hard, or trim?
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Aftr Market Heater

Post by Errol62 »

Hi Marty,
I’m thinking you fix it to the firewall as high and out of view as possible. I would install the tap in the engine bay if practical, just in case it weeps. For the plumbing there is a convoluted flexible hose made of aluminium foil laminated to paper as per the original nasco warmaride heaters. It I’d flexible and not cheap.
Cheers,
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

1. thermostat outlet, planing on sticking the heater hoses on the left side outlets of the thermostat housing, which is water out and which is water in? assuming top is out ? the gates valve is direction specific apparently,
The thermostat housing on the engine is the outlet (low pressure) side. The water pump on the engine is the inlet (high pressure) side. I'd be surprised if any of the valves in a heater system are direction sensitive. If there are no arrows marked on the heater/valve, and you can blow through them both ways (no internal check valve) then I would not overly worry.
2. should i install the coolant valve in the cabin or the engine bay?
If you want to eventually connect it up to the dash controls, then it is easier to put the ball valve inside the car (as the Bowden cable does not need to go through the firewall). If you are like me and turn the heater water on in winter, off in summer, and just play with the fan, then it won't hurt to put it into the engine bay.
3. where to attach this thing under the dash? normally I'm thinking such things would be installed in the middle and attached to the 2 holes under the dash lip, but i have 3 gauge cluster there and so thinking it may be a compromise and install it under the glove box like any other modern car, however the cardboard glove box isn't exactly structural. Do i need to make up bracket spanning between the firewall and the glove box hinge lip under the dash? anyone done similar?
There are twofactory heater holes under the dash lip, about centre of the car. You can always drill more towards the passenger's side. Two bolts into the dash lip, then make a bracket for the rear. The bracket at the rear of the heater stops it wobbling over bumps... doesn't need to be real heavy, as the dash lip takes most of the load. Run the bracket up and pick up one of the air flap mounting screws.
4. what to use for hot air plumbing? im thinking PVC might end up looking like Dali's clocks but dont want to go to the extreme of mandrel bent 2 inch stainless pipe with blue silicone joiners.
Clay is correct - aluminium flexible ducting. The PHD-40ML hose is still available from eBay or Repco. About $30.
5 there is no amount of lube and push that will get the heater hose through those firewall grommet hose orifices without tearing a rubber. lube and push hard, or trim?
If it is an old factory grommet, then you should be able to lube and push. If it is one of the aftermarket ones with thin lips, then you have no chance. One trick is to use small diameter heater hose that will fit the grommet. You then step up (or down) the hose at the end connections using these (from Pirtek or one of the other hydraulic mobs):

barbed reducer.jpg
barbed reducer.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Marty
Search heater/demister my heater setup is there. it's on the 3rd page.
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Here we go thanks Billy

Heater / Demister
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good looking instal billy. Marty you were all over it back then.

EK van on rotisserie
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Your a clever chappy Clay . I have found if you right click on images that photo bucket puts their watermark on and open it in a new tab it's clear of the watermark just a little trick I have found but you may know this already :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :starr:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Aw shucks I don't think so

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Sweet , ill be watching this with interest and where and how you mount it.
Ive just ordered my vintage air unit and bits for under dash and placed order with Madd air for under bonnet stuff.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

BILLY BLACKARROW wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:23 am Marty
Search heater/demister my heater setup is there. it's on the 3rd page.
Ahhh yes, awesome, thought i saw this same heater here before, thats how long ago i bought it LOL
got the same as yours and having seen your pics again spent the evening out there, contortionist style, head under the dash trying to make sense of it all and made a crdboard template for a mounting bracket.
thanks for response, most helpful to see it installed.
FB EK Club WA
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:34 pm Good looking instal billy. Marty you were all over it back then.

haha, yes, then put it on the shelf in the box to age, cant have anything that new looking on a 60yo car. :grinnn:
back out of the box again in iso and now that the old girl is back out on the road
FB EK Club WA
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Thanks Harv
The numerous coolant outlets on the front of the red motor had me scratching my head, im using top right for thermo fan switch and have a loop hose between the two left outlets so thought i could make use of those being on the side of the heater hose inlet grommet in the firewall.
I'm liking your thinking about the seasonal flow valve... operate it manually start and end of winter LOL.
FB EK Club WA
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

update 23/4/2020
got some of those brass barbs Harv suggested and works out that the firewall grommet is the perfect location to join the heater hoses from inside hoses to engine bay hoses and the grommet looks like its designed to snugly envelop the brass double ended connector. hurdle 1. kicked it down.
also, got all contorted under the dash for a while with a measuring tape in hand and the heater box, works out i think i can accomodate it in the middle, under the dash and behind the gauge cluster. i think i'm going to blow it downwards rather than upwards so that i can direct it onto the passangers with a 90 elbow. and have the heater core below the fan unit so if it does ever leak its not going to leak onto the fan motor. im going to hang it off the 2 bolts that secure the wiper motor to the firewall with my 1.2mm flat plate bracket... i might recut the bracket so it can be folded out of one piece rather than be of 2 pieces. might need to add another point of contact to the firewall to keep it in place securely but essentially it will sit directly behind the motor on the inside face of the firewall.... blah blah blah... here's pics.
Attachments
heater hoses firewall.JPG
heater hoses firewall.JPG (58.67 KiB) Viewed 675 times
heater bracket 3.JPG
heater bracket 3.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 675 times
heater bracket 2.JPG
heater bracket 2.JPG (57.94 KiB) Viewed 675 times
heater bracket 1.JPG
heater bracket 1.JPG (65.23 KiB) Viewed 675 times
FB EK Club WA
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

its upside down isnt it?
Harv

Post by Harv »

That firewall grommet is the aftermarket Rares one. It is very, very thin compared to the original GMH ones. I found that the heater hoses had enough weight that they would pull the grommet out, repeatedly. Ended up running with a loose grommet for a while to let the hoses find their "settling" point, then superglued the grommet in place.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.