Rear Parcel Shelf

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Rear Parcel Shelf

Post by EK283 »

Questions,

1/ Are the rear parcel shelf cards made anywhere ?

2/ Has anyone made one and if so what material did you use ?

I know its pretty easy but just curious if I can just buy one done so I can get it trimmed ( I'm a bit over making stuff at the moment !!! )

Greg
So many cars so little time!
rosco
State: VIC

Re: Rear Parcel Shelf

Post by rosco »

Greg,
I don't know what the material is - but it looked very much like what the ceilings of state school rooms were made of.... sort of a fibrous hessian/wood conglomerate... mixed together and pressed into a fibrous board.... it's not heavy, so I'm guessing there is either hessian or ground cardboard/particle board (without the heavy glue).... it's actually quite pleasant to cut...
There appears to be some form of an applied coating on the top side - colour matched to the interior...

I made my rear shelf lining ... but made it out of thin plywood and covered it in vinyl to match the door cards... which are also plywood.
I was going to use marine ply, but believed the glue impregnated wood would not allow water to soak into it.... and allow me to bend.

I marked it out then cut it, soaked it for an hour in a bath - laid it on the shelf then used the two screw holes to start pulling it down - I also used weights.

It took some time (days), and I had to re-wet it a number of times - but it eventually took shape.. and I let it dry right out.

When I pulled it up to lay vinyl, it kept enough of its shape so that when it went back in, it didn't stress too much.

There are two screws on the shelf with cup washers on them, they will hold the material down.. from memory, I replaced those with polished stainless button head bolts and fitted washers/nuts underneath... pix if you need them, but only of the finished result... not the process.

Whatever you do, don't cut the swage lines.... as I did for 6 x 9 speakers.. if you need engineering, you'll have to weld them back in.

frats,
Rosco
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I made mine out mdf and covered it in the stuff they cover soft sided surf boards with (like a black rubbery item about 2/3 mil thick) worked well for me. :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Wish I could remember. I think I just used vinyl on the tin. Contact along the seat edge where it folds down and just trimmed and tucked under rubber. I had the pioneer twin cones to hold it in of course.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

There is a mob called C&G Auto Upholstery make EH and Fe FC - might be worth a try - they r in brisb but dont list a phone number
cgautoupholstery.com.au

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
FCEKHKZD

Post by FCEKHKZD »

james @ classic automotive products in melbourne, he should have them, he makes all the firewall insulation kits and rear seat dividers kick panels etc etc for rares and others, he has knife dies made and its a magnificent product he makes and his seatbelts are also sensational, if you do farcesook he is on there and also has an sbay store, if you are ever in melborne its worth a visit as his knowledge on all trim stuff is unbelievable and its like a tour of a 1970 factory
FCEKHKZD

Post by FCEKHKZD »

mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

i pulled my old crusty one out in bits and took a trip to bunnings bought a cheap wood board sheet under $15 from memory ,
cut out the shape from what i could using the old one as a semi template sprayed the vinyl glue on it and covered it in the red vinyl put a few pavers on it to hold and let dry.
Its had a few summers now no worries
Some parts of the board will "float" above the steel shelf but you wont see it and it wont look out of place.
Edit , half way down http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=135
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
EK283

Post by EK283 »