WRAY T96 SUPERCHARGER refurb and install

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: WRAY T96 SUPERCHARGER refurb and install

Post by FJWALLY »

Well there you go - sounds like a mod worth doing - any advice on who would do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
rosco

Post by rosco »

Looks a treat - LS diff = gearbox work will be truly justified.

From memory, there was an upgrade done to the HR from EH box... I know the bosses in the side plate are bigger, wasn't aware that there were any other upgrades... or, have read this incorrectly and the upgrade mentioned is between grey and latter red boxes?

frats,
Rosco
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Gearbox mod has certainly pricked my ears up thank you Dave, rob, Greg.

Also the Harrop trutrac Rob. The only way to beef up a stock housing. I think 10 spline and 28 spline around the same price but then you need custom axles unless you run an early torana housing and the 28 spline axles would be rare anyway.

Really dig how you’re doing your best to keep it as period as possible.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Brief history of the red crashbox (apologies for the thread hijack):

The crashbox was re-engineered for the EJ, with a longer input shaft, a higher capacity single-row rear bearing, a press-fitted speedo drive gear, and an enlarged cluster gear shaft with twenty needle rollers. The rear main bearing was now retained very securely between the transmission case and the rear extension housing. But the method of location for the input shaft and bearing was a shocker - a Belleville washer between the bearing outer race and the throwout bearing sleeve, which was all held in place by the transmission-to-bellhousing bolts.

The EJ transmission case was carried over for the EH 149, but with new bellhousing (minus "ears" for the grey engine mounts) and new rear extension housing (enlarged, and with pad for red rear engine mount). For the 179 manuals, the transmission case and bellhousing were redesigned, with wider bolt spacing. The clutch was upgraded, and the slave cylinder redesigned with offset bolt holes. I don't know if the S4s had their own "sui generis" transmission cases and bellhousings.

The design shortcomings of the Belleville washer to retain the input shaft soon became apparent. If the washer cracked, the input shaft was now free to move axially. And if you should take off hard at the lights, shift into second, and then floor it, the input shaft would move forwards, the synchro hub and second speed gear rearwards, and a gap would open up between the input shaft and the mainshaft, just big enough to suck the top gear synchro cone dogs into. This would produce a momentary "grrr" sound as the synchro cone machined a couple of millimetres off the splines off the input shaft and the mainshaft. Gearbox now good for the bin.

And so GMH redesigned the input shaft, synchro hub, mainshaft, 1st-reverse gear and second speed gear with revised dimensions to ensure that the top gear synchro cone could not get crunched up if the Belleville washer broke. I think this change happened some time during EH. You can identify the parts in question by a small groove machined onto the splines (usually). The spline dimensions were changed so you couldn't mate "early" and "late" gearbox components.

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It's fascinating stuff Rob, and yes off topic but this is a forum after all. I've got about six crash boxes to experiment with behind what ever motor ends up in the ute.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Rob - sometimes changes made for the sake of change rather than good but very interested in the HR gears into the EK box

Need to ask around who could make that work for me as most shops these days if it's not off the shelf they are not interested.
ardiesse wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm Brief history of the red crashbox (apologies for the thread hijack):

The crashbox was re-engineered for the EJ, with a longer input shaft, a higher capacity single-row rear bearing, a press-fitted speedo drive gear, and an enlarged cluster gear shaft with twenty needle rollers. The rear main bearing was now retained very securely between the transmission case and the rear extension housing. But the method of location for the input shaft and bearing was a shocker - a Belleville washer between the bearing outer race and the throwout bearing sleeve, which was all held in place by the transmission-to-bellhousing bolts.

The EJ transmission case was carried over for the EH 149, but with new bellhousing (minus "ears" for the grey engine mounts) and new rear extension housing (enlarged, and with pad for red rear engine mount). For the 179 manuals, the transmission case and bellhousing were redesigned, with wider bolt spacing. The clutch was upgraded, and the slave cylinder redesigned with offset bolt holes. I don't know if the S4s had their own "sui generis" transmission cases and bellhousings.

The design shortcomings of the Belleville washer to retain the input shaft soon became apparent. If the washer cracked, the input shaft was now free to move axially. And if you should take off hard at the lights, shift into second, and then floor it, the input shaft would move forwards, the synchro hub and second speed gear rearwards, and a gap would open up between the input shaft and the mainshaft, just big enough to suck the top gear synchro cone dogs into. This would produce a momentary "grrr" sound as the synchro cone machined a couple of millimetres off the splines off the input shaft and the mainshaft. Gearbox now good for the bin.

And so GMH redesigned the input shaft, synchro hub, mainshaft, 1st-reverse gear and second speed gear with revised dimensions to ensure that the top gear synchro cone could not get crunched up if the Belleville washer broke. I think this change happened some time during EH. You can identify the parts in question by a small groove machined onto the splines (usually). The spline dimensions were changed so you couldn't mate "early" and "late" gearbox components.

Rob
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yeah more splines generally mean more strength but there are companies that can make up chrome molly shafts for instance that will be stronger than whats in it - again see how I go - the intention is to treat it nice but see how the lead foot reacts to puffin billy.
Errol62 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:01 pm Gearbox mod has certainly pricked my ears up thank you Dave, rob, Greg.

Also the Harrop trutrac Rob. The only way to beef up a stock housing. I think 10 spline and 28 spline around the same price but then you need custom axles unless you run an early torana housing and the 28 spline axles would be rare anyway.

Really dig how you’re doing your best to keep it as period as possible.

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

oh - forgot to mention Diff booked in for wed next week change over.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

FJWALLY wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:20 am Thanks Rob - sometimes changes made for the sake of change rather than good but very interested in the HR gears into the EK box

Need to ask around who could make that work for me as most shops these days if it's not off the shelf they are not interested.

Sounds very interesting, especially for a red motor swap and stock 3 speed so floors dont need to be cut
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Blacky wrote:
FJWALLY wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:20 am Thanks Rob - sometimes changes made for the sake of change rather than good but very interested in the HR gears into the EK box

Sounds very interesting, especially for a red motor swap and stock 3 speed so floors dont need to be cut
Exaxtly

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Rob, if this mod was made does it also give you synchro on first gear ??? Might be VERY handy for a certain blue ute that gets stupid tall diff gears fitted when driving to and from the nationals ...........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Blacky,

Nice thought, but no, you don't get synchro on first.

The only times you'll need to change gears driving to the Nats will be to get past Mundaring and Northam. Then a couple of days later at Horrocks Pass. And it's a gentle chug uphill from Goondiwindi to Toowoomba.

2.78:1?

Rob
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Fred doing some work on carb manifold - tidied up the inside rough spots and got a spacer to get bowl at right angle and a safety valve for main manifold and going to run one of these filter bodies - good surface area and will keep fine particles out of the blower ImageImageImageImage

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
Harv

Post by Harv »

You need that air filter to stop the Wray from sucking in small children and pigeons 8)

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Harv wrote:You need that air filter to stop the Wray from sucking in small children and pigeons 8)

Cheers,
Harv
ImageImageImage

You’ll find me lost somewhere!