WRAY T96 SUPERCHARGER refurb and install

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: WRAY T96 SUPERCHARGER refurb and install

Post by ardiesse »

You could try Frank Tedesco Automotive in Wetherill Park (NSW). Frank's reproduced quite a few of the springs for early Holdens.

Rob
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

ardiesse wrote:You could try Frank Tedesco Automotive in Wetherill Park (NSW). Frank's reproduced quite a few of the springs for early Holdens.

Rob
Thanks Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Frank can't help me so Ive thrown it out there to the fraternity
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

It's a fairly generic spring really. Would have thought Bunnings but suppose you're still in lockdown. I may have one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Errol62 wrote:It's a fairly generic spring really. Would have thought Bunnings but suppose you're still in lockdown. I may have one.

Got one Rob - the grapevine works quickly Image

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Also booked in for Maggy Install - Tune and dyno on the 26th Oct - woohoo!!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

See ya! Image

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

OOOOK!
So I foolishly dropped into the Dyno guys to see how the Ute was going and a mixed bag of info.

1stly it has Boost - LOTS of BOOOOST - in fact too much BOOOST so much so that they got scared and took the foot off at 2500RPM

1500 RPM - 3psi boost
2500 RPM - 7PSI boost and valves were floating all over the shop so they backed off.

Now the decisions come into play

Get a smaller crank pulley and back the boost off a heap
OR heavier springs and then the possible cascade effect of premature Cam wear - etc etc that may come about.
OR - combination of both
OR - be sensible and put the twin carbs back on for now and build a real motor that can handle the stresses $$$$...$

I have a motor I can buy and all the bits that are required to make a drag level motor or speedway capable motor and a fun run around
Oh the decisions.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Something doesn't feel right. A Wray T96 is 20% smaller than a Norman Type 65 (using Eldred's measurements, a Type 65 is 65ci/rev, whilst a T96 is 51ci/rev).

The Type 65 will spin up about 5-7psi (at about 1:1 drive ratio), and have no effect on grey motor valve float. You should be able to get 10spi or so before drama starts.

Assume it really is float, and not lean out causing crackling and missing? Exhaust gas sensor still rich as all hell?

Was the head standard, or has it been skimmed/shaved?

Bigger springs are cheap, and easy enough to fit.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

When the motor was rebuilt it was a mild rebuild - the cam only a slight alteration and everything else pretty much cleaned - balanced and put back together with new bits.

The engine builder thinks the springs are only 40-50(stock) pound at seat but from a few chats Ive had today most warm to hot greys are running 100 plus at the seats so there is a lot that can be improved there - Mark from Dynomotive thinks something around 65-70 would probably be enough IF we can get the boost to be a little less. It may be that these are the wrong springs to start with.

Currently the blower is set up to be 12% overdriven and from what Mark has been telling me the speedway cars of the time were mostly 1:1 for worked motors or underdriven around 10% for more stock type motors so I'm probably leaning more to that so I dont do any major damage to this motor.

Fred has a blank crank Pulley he is measuring up to see if he can get the 10% reduction with that pulley - it was designed for a 1:1 ratio but may have some leeway.
Harv wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 pm Something doesn't feel right. A Wray T96 is 20% smaller than a Norman Type 65 (using Eldred's measurements, a Type 65 is 65ci/rev, whilst a T96 is 51ci/rev).

The Type 65 will spin up about 5-7psi (at about 1:1 drive ratio), and have no effect on grey motor valve float. You should be able to get 10spi or so before drama starts.

Assume it really is float, and not lean out causing crackling and missing? Exhaust gas sensor still rich as all hell?

Was the head standard, or has it been skimmed/shaved?

Bigger springs are cheap, and easy enough to fit.

Cheers,
Harv
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I have toyed with the option of making the race motor and doing a box rebuild to bolt onto it then taking the original out and putting it on a stand as some shop art and to preserve it in case someone ever wanted to return to stock then I could be more aggressive with the blower knowing the motor could handle everything it has to give.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Some issues finding workable pulleys so might have to try a &*#@ 5.5 inch on the bottom and go a 6 Inch on the blower to get it back to 10% under driven
With the lockdown in SA Fred can't get to his workshop - lots of tears!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Like a kid in a lolly shop - all the gremlins seamed to have been worked out with the Wray set up - she is running nice and producing a comfortable 6 PSI plus without any valve bounce.

Tomorrow is the day of reckoning on the Dyno for final tune and run - excited MUCH!!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Ok!!

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

How did they cure the valve float?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.