Electric windscreen wiper self parking

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Electric windscreen wiper self parking

Post by fraze »

I have fitted EK electric wipers to my FB. I used all matching EK components. The wipers work well and sweep the screen ok, with the blades set to come within a few millimeters of the screen rubber at the bottom of the sweep. However when turned off the blades rise about 100mm before stopping. Any clues as to what I can do to stop the blades at the end of their stroke????? I notice there is a screw and lock nut near the electrical terminals - would that have anything to do with it?
I have the same setup on my FC and the self park works correctly on it with the blades stopping at the end of the stroke.
Any clues as to an answer appreciated, thank, Fraze
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Electric windscreen wiper self parking

Post by Errol62 »

You just need to take the crank off the motor spindle and turn it around slightly to bring the blades back to the limit of travel near the windscreen bottom fraze.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

The locknut and screw near the electrical terminals are for end-play adjustment on the armature shaft. Don't touch without good reason.

It sounds to me like the parking contacts aren't working. The contacts can be adjusted so the motor parks in the right place, but I don't think mis-adjustment is the problem here. How long does it take for the wipers to stop after you turn them off? If they go to the bottom of the stroke and then gently rise as the motor slows down, then you have a problem.

The parking contact disconnects the armature from power, and then shorts the armature to ground at the bottom of the stroke. When this happens, the motor should stop dead.

You might need to pull the wiper motor out and bench-test it to see what's going wrong.

Rob
fraze

Post by fraze »

Re repositioning the wiper arm on the motor spindle, I understand what you are saying Clay, but my understanding is that the motor spindle has a "master" key so that the arm can only go onto one fixed position??? When I was assembling it I could feel the arm slotting into its correct position. Secondly if I do change the position of the arm, to corrct the park position, the blades will then want to sweep too far and move off the screen onto the trim at the bottom of the screen???
Thats my take, could well be wrong, actually i hope so because your remedy would be easy. TRhanks Fraze
fraze

Post by fraze »

It is basically as you suggest Ardiesse,but when I turn the wipers off they don,t "gently rise" but continue wiping for a split second after the switch is turned off so that they stop a little way up the screen.They do stop dead. I can live with it, but I would rather have it right. I am using a headlight switch as a wiper switch but I can't see that affecting anything.
I do have another wiper (Preslite) so I might just change it. Thanks for the advice, Fraze
fraze

Post by fraze »

Another thought on this subject, as I said when I turn the wipers off they continue for a split second, before stopping. However when I pull the wire off the terminal on the motor it stops dead. Now the way I have wired the wiper motor, I have wired to a (fused) terminal on the fuse block directly to the switch,then to the motor. I would have thought that turning the switch off would have the same result as pulling the wire???? Fraze
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

I'd suggest that you change over to a wiper switch first before looking at anything else. A headlight switch won't be configured right. A wiper switch will have a change-over contact, so it grounds the motor when switching off. A headlight switch will leave the motor open-circuited when switching off.

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

No fraze. Moving the arms on the spindles will cause them to travel in a more advanced or retarded arc if you take my meaning. However rotating on the motor shaft will simply change where in the movement they stop. I have a vague recollection of making this adjustment previously. I’ve played around with the ek wipers, fitting various motors to my old sedan, wife’s fc and lately my ute. I don’t believe there is a uniquely keyed position at least not on the cast body type which is the only one I have experience with.

On the other hand Rob may well have identified the problem. I would try my solution first. If successful it is less work, and if not it only requires unbolting again and removing the motor for bench testing.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

It should have power to the motor and the negative wire run through the switch IIRC - maybe that is causing you grief ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
fraze

Post by fraze »

I tried Blacky's suggestion and instead of having the switch on the active wire, I wired active direct from the fuse to the wiper motor and put the switch on the negative - same result, didn't change anything. Bugger I got excited about that possible fix. The next easiest thing to try is Rob's suggestion of the switch - have located an ek switch thru' a mate - should have it in a few days. I tried moving the arms too ,as Clay suggested- all that did was change the position, didn't fix the problem. If the switch doesn't cure the problem then I will bite the bullet and change the motor (leaving that to last as i hate working up under the dash, especially with the heater in the way). Fraze
gpi

Post by gpi »

the switch will fix your parking issue.

your wipers will still suck.

use rainex.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I got thinking about this some more. Here is the wiring diagram antdyou can see the wiper motor is closed circuit to the ignition accessory position so you can give the window a smear at the local footy without energising the coil.Image
If you have an original EK wiring tail for the motor there should be an inline aluminium fuse holder in the feed. Earthing is through the switch as we know, and when the motor loses earth from the switch it continues on the earth to body circuit until this is opened when the shaft reaches the park position, or should do. It seems your shaft has got out of alignment with the open circuit body earth switch position somehow, but I can’t for the life of me see how this could happen, and I’m not about to go pulling one of these apart.
You are correct about the crank arm being keyed.Image
Sorry for the bum steer there. My memory gets a little creative at times. Curiously the crank nut seemed to be 10mm. It is either some whitworth size, I’ve replaced it previously, or the motor was made in Europe.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The other nut has a 7/16” head.

Found one of the Delco motors and just to confirm my theory incorrect, it has a fixed crank.Image

EK van on rotisserie
fraze

Post by fraze »

Thanks for your input Clay,and the wiring diagram will be invaluable as my shop manual only goes up to FB. the EK switch is on its way and when I get it and fit, I will post the reults.Regards, Fraze
fraze

Post by fraze »

SUCCESS!!!!!!. Finally got the wipers to self park- the wiper motor assy was the culprit, changed that out and all is good. Bugger of a job though, had to work up behind the heater. Taking the glovebox out helped.
I did get hold of an EK wiper switch and tried it but that didn't make any difference.
Thanks for all who responded, your answers we appreciated. Cheers, Fraze :vecctor: :vecctor: :vecctor: