FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

oz_ek
State: VIC

Re: FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT

Post by oz_ek »

ek wazza wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:41 pm Bought a couple of early &*#@ fuel tanks to play around with I think XW and XY. Anyone have any pics of the conversion?????
Did you manage to fit one of the XW / XY tanks ?
ek wazza
State: NSW

Post by ek wazza »

In the process at the moment. Had engineer check out my build yesterday and he had no problems with progress. Fitting from the top not underneath is the way to go. XR/XT/XW/XY seems to fit the best but I also tried the XA/XB tank which is not as square.
Attachments
XA/XB
XA/XB
20201217_123426.jpg (4.13 MiB) Viewed 811 times
XA/XB
XA/XB
20201217_123433.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 811 times
XR/XT/XW/XY
XR/XT/XW/XY
20201105_143556.jpg (4.2 MiB) Viewed 811 times
XR/XT/XW/XY
XR/XT/XW/XY
20201217_140350.jpg (4.7 MiB) Viewed 811 times
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Wazza looks good and I have seen a couple of other builds on here or the FE/FC forum using them the only thing I don't like about them is the height into the boot but I suppose they do give you the option for the spare wheel.
How are you intending to finish off the boot floor? I think one of the other builds used ply to make the false floor.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

Not really sure yet how I’m going to finish off most probably with ply or custom wood. Sitting the tank on the rail flanges gets it lower than what I have seen. What you lose in the height of it which isn’t much, you gain more room by not having the spare sitting vertically plus an increased fuel capacity
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

ek wazza wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:36 pm Not really sure yet how I’m going to finish off most probably with ply or custom wood. Sitting the tank on the rail flanges gets it lower than what I have seen. What you lose in the height of it which isn’t much, you gain more room by not having the spare sitting vertically plus an increased fuel capacity
How's it look from underneath ?
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

I’ll show some pics soon. Just working on different areas at the moment
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

ek wazza wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:12 pm I’ll show some pics soon. Just working on different areas at the moment
Cheers. :thumbsup:
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Found these old pics of a VN Commodore tank mounted in our old V6 sedan --

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Would a metal tank ( like a mustang) require straps Blacky?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Blacky thanks for sharing the pics!.....The Commodore tank appears to hang lower than the quarter panel ?
EKRebuild026.jpg
EKRebuild026.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Cliff Regan

Post by Cliff Regan »

Guys,

Done the same as Blacky with my FB Sedan (VS Commodore tank), the only difference was I fitted a 3mm plate under the boot area to have a clean area for the tank to fit up against. this also nicely covers the old tank and spare wheel areas.
Harv

Post by Harv »

oz_ek wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pmBlacky thanks for sharing the pics!.....The Commodore tank appears to hang lower than the quarter panel ?
Perth Hills lowrider :lol: 8)

Youtube

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Brett027 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:35 pm Would a metal tank ( like a mustang) require straps Blacky?
Mustang tanks are mounted in a similar way to the stock tank so no straps required.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

oz_ek wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pm Blacky thanks for sharing the pics!.....The Commodore tank appears to hang lower than the quarter panel ?
Maybe it does - I cant remember ....

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm
oz_ek wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pmBlacky thanks for sharing the pics!.....The Commodore tank appears to hang lower than the quarter panel ?
Perth Hills lowrider :lol: 8)

Cheers,
Harv
I actually built a lowrider style car a few years back Harv - man that car was a lot of fun 8) 8)