Harv's HR Holden Premier wagon

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

vmx-mxr
State: NSW

Re: Harv's HR Holden Premier wagon

Post by vmx-mxr »

Hi Harv
Just an aside so no help with the bell crank issue if you are wanting to keep the standard look in the air filter Dept I am pretty sure the 186S filter was the same cover as the std one but in gold etc bit the base sat on the carb and pulled down by the WW fitted stud hobby.
Roger Hancock (gmhnasco on eBay) was making the repo base and given his high standards will be a good fit as originals are thin on the ground
Cheers
Dave Mac
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Dave. I was lucky with the WW Strommie. I bought it a long time ago, and it was destined to run on a red motor Norman, identical to the photo below:

desnouted.png
desnouted.png (539.94 KiB) Viewed 835 times

The WW I bought came with the gold air filter, though it had not been desnouted like the one above :lol: . I've got most of the stuff in that photo, all bar the cast ally intercooler.

Looks like the WW will get a run on the Prem instead.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Probably the old non water jacket cast iron inlet ala 149179 would work. I’m yet to cross the bridge of fitting the old fb throttle linkage to ww stromberg. Previously used HX hz cable setup.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dumb question for today. I managed to get hold of an original HR washer bottle (with thanks, Rob). It is neatly shaped to sit between the driver's side bonnet hinge and guard. It doesn't have a bracket, and I can't see any signs of one ever being in place.

Other than gravity (and perhaps the outlet hose), what holds the washer bottle in place?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fb delivery
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fb delivery »

No bracket , it just sits in there

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Finally been allowed back to work, so some play time on the HR after hours.

Dumb question for today. The tailgate has a stainless strip at the bottom of the glass, held on with 8 or so self tappers. It has a rubber strip that slides into the stainless and is held be the screws. Mine was all but gone, with only remnants. Replaced it with a Rares rubber, but it seems to do nothing - sits about 10mm off the glass. Glass runs smoothly in the door and upper channel. Where have I gone wrong?
DB7689B0-1AFE-4D78-8DDF-097ED7EC1194.jpeg
DB7689B0-1AFE-4D78-8DDF-097ED7EC1194.jpeg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 750 times
84633C35-1BE7-4FF3-A916-8FD77C895315.jpeg
84633C35-1BE7-4FF3-A916-8FD77C895315.jpeg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 750 times
8CDEF47A-C776-44D3-9615-443F479E3A42.jpeg
8CDEF47A-C776-44D3-9615-443F479E3A42.jpeg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Obvious mate. You should have bought an fb.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I wasn't game to say that Clay you have more guts than me :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

The HD service manual has no instructions about replacing the weatherstrip.

It's not something as easy as you've installed the rubber the wrong way, with the wide part held by the retainer? Because I remember that the tailgate belt weatherstrip was quite wide. It didn't touch the glass, but when the tailgate window was wound all the way up, the weatherstrip would seal against the top of the glass lift channel.

Maybe if you called Old Auto Rubber in Penrith?

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Fuel gauge was working, but gave up the ghost. Sits on zero, and gives the occasional blip when the ignition is first turned on.

Remove seven million wood screws, remove cargo strips, remove both plywood floor pieces. Sender is nice shiny zinc… likely a Rares replacement. Jiggle wire. Nope. Earth wire to body. Nope. Replace carpentry.

Persuade L connector to come off back of gauge. Check for 12V at pink wire - yep, it’s getting power. Run jumper leads to give gauge +12V and a good earth. Nope… even force feeding the gauge power and earth it won’t move.

Any more suggestions before I pull the gauge and send it to a instrument tech?

Cheers,
Harv
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

Inside the fuel gauge is a 75-ohm resistor. It's been known to go open-circuit. When that happens the gauge goes dead.

I've got a couple of HD/HR fuel gauge/idiot light clusters here, if needed.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks.

HR Novice Question: what is the easiest way to get the fuel gauge binnacle out?

Choke and wiper bezels undone, speedo disconnected, two screws and main fascia out?

Leave fascia in and undo the two screws (that hold the binnacle in) from behind?

My back sends its thanks in advance... the bucket seats and console leave little room for under-dash contortions.

Cheers,
Harv
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

fascia out and then another 2 screws to remove gauge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EMgxivpwF4
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

. . . and there's a gotcha. The chrome instrument fascias (in the HDs at least) require you to lower the steering column out of the way. Not by much, but enough to be annoying. The plastic HR ones can be removed with the column in place.

And the resistor in the fuel gauge may be a peculiar-to-X2 thing.

Rob

Edit: Just had a look. Speedometers I have. Fuel/instrument clusters no, not in HD/HR.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Rear Spring Dimensions: Eye-to-eye length 50" (20" front eye to centre bolt, 30" centre bolt to rear eye).
HK rear springs are 51" long (presumably 20" front eye to centre bolt, 31" centre bolt to rear eye).

Rob