PCV valve

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

State: SA

PCV valve

Post by 138 »

I want to fit a PCV valve to my 138 (she smokes a bit at idle through the road draft tube), and would like to know - The best location for the "return" line- I was thinking of drilling and tapping the spacer plate under the carby, and using a screw-in type PCV valve. Also, how is the road draft tube held in? It looks like a push fit, but I haven't yanked on it yet in case it has a retainer or nut on the inside of the side plate.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: PCV valve

Post by Harv »

They are supposed to smoke, leak oil and smell slightly of unburnt fuel... it’s part of their charm :mrgreen:

Don’t tap the carb spacer - the phenolic goes brittle. Remove the inlet manifold, drill and tap the side of the inlet manifold “box” that the carb sits above (if it does not already have a plug in it).

Some walking sticks slip off, others appear to be flared in place. You can’t see the other side of the stick as there is a baffle inside the side plate.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

the draft tube should have a tang on the lower part that bolts on to one of the bolts that hold the sump on
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

I will heartily second what Harv said.
Perhaps I could suggest piston rings instead of a PCV setup :)

Rob

Post by 138 »

There is a fitting which feeds the vacuum advance on the distributor, how about a "T" fitting there? I don't have any other holes in the manifold, unless I get to it with the drill.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

The vacuum advance port on the carburettor does not connect to manifold vacuum. It only produces vacuum off-idle and at light throttle openings. And the port drillings are tiny, so the flow rate will be next-to-nothing.

Are you using the standard inlet manifold? There should be a threaded plug on the side of the casting below the carburettor.

Also, PCV systems are designed to operate with new engines. They can't cope with the amount of blow-by produced by a worn engine. (Years of driving clagged red motors has taught me that.)

Rob

Post by 138 »

Your'e right, I didn't follow the line through properly, and the line I was looking at was the vacuum line for the wipers. I reckon a "T" there might work, the line is 1/4".
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Just put the T-piece at the manifold. "Uphill" of the vacuum section of the fuel pump is not a good idea.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Vacuum wipers and pcv
Damn rodders
8)8)8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie

Post by 138 »

You been snoopin' over my fence again!!!