Project 2.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FireKraka
State: WA

Re: Project 2.

Post by FireKraka »

I’m confused (not hard to do :lol: ) so the MD18 is available through ‘Electricaircon’ ?????
Because of the amount of times I drive Frank and the cost (cause I’m a cheapskate :lol: :lol:) I thought of taking the risk with one of the cheaper versions Jeff at Madd Air gave me a price for his kit without the electric compressor of about $950 that’s also without hoses.
I know the saying though ‘buy cheap pay twice’ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Yes Neil, that ad is current. I just checked and that's where I got mine from. I have no experience with other compressors- just this one and it's early days as yet.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I, like you, can be a bit of a tight arse neil. Thinking quarter vent.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

I hope you don’t mind us pinching your thread a little Brett :thumbsup:
Clay I never really thought of it when I did the ‘fast glass’ mod you don’t really understand how useful the quarter windows are until you don’t have them.

Brett my thoughts on the cheaper compressor was as I said can pay approx. half and get a mounting plate basing the price against the amount of use of Frank and the actual cab size of our Utes if it was a sedan or my wagon then I think it would have to be engine mounted compressor, Madd do make an engine mount bracket I believe.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Mick

Post by Mick »

funny the engineer didn't like the LC/LJ rack (i wonder if he's actually had any experience with them or just all theory) as i've had a few different rack set ups and the LC/LJ was definitely one of the better ones
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

FireKraka wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:11 pm

Brett my thoughts on the cheaper compressor was as I said can pay approx. half and get a mounting plate basing the price against the amount of use of Frank and the actual cab size of our Utes if it was a sedan or my wagon then I think it would have to be engine mounted compressor, Madd do make an engine mount bracket I believe.
Yes I looked into that with Madd and on my red motor because of the tripples I could not fit it. I also balked at running it all off one A belt (lots of discussion about that with Harv) as that setup requires.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

New world problem I know, but any recomendations for a phone holder for EK dashboards? Need one for Barney.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Just a generic one I have. Clamps on the sides. Works well.Image

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Have not bothered to install one. I get my daughter to manage the technology on the go 😊
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clay.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have one very similar to Clays but I stick it on the windscreen - for a few years there I was rocking an old school Iphone, the tech nerd at work kept wanting to issue me a newer one but I refused because the old one used to fit perfectly into the ashtray on the ute when you put it in sideways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
62MLOO
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by 62MLOO »

Brett027 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:26 am New world problem I know, but any recomendations for a phone holder for EK dashboards? Need one for Barney.
Gidday Brett, I have mocked up a prototype ash tray. Somehow found room for a Gauge, USB outlet and a Quadlock ball mount. I had to cut the guts out of it and lower the base to get it all to fit and the lid to close. If you just wanted the ball mount for the phone holder I reckon you could mount that into the ashtray bucket and not have to modify the ashtray body. I also found a flush mounted USB ciggy outlet that ends up flush with the top of the ciggy socket so you can leave it in all the time and still shut the lid. Once you have the ball mount in you can get a ball mount extension arm with Quadlock phone holder on the end. The extension arm just pops off if you want shut the lid and obviously you will need a Quadlock case for your phone.
Cheers
Mick
Attachments
20230519_152459.jpg
20230519_152459.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 354 times
20230519_152453.jpg
20230519_152453.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 354 times
WRAPAROUND WINDSCEENS AND SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS RULE !!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks for the pics and idea Mick. My ashtray has 2 x usb ports and a 12 volt socket fitted which fills it up already, but good lateral thinking. I remember having trouble just getting those 2 fittings of mine sorted so as to be able to fit the ashtray module back in the dash hole: All the stuff you have going on in yours must have made it tricky.
I must admit I am also looking at a few modest sized touchscreens as an option, but will try non-permanent mobile mount first.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Just a thought. The glovebox lid is a large, hollow box. When it is open, it provides a nice horizontal surface. I had a cunning plan to embed cupholders into that horizontal surface in the wagon, but never got around to it. Can't see anything when the glovebox is shut, similar to the ashtray.

Wonder if you could embed an iPhone mount into that horizontal surface? Glovebox lids are pretty common, so no harm no foul if it didn't work out.

iPhone holder.png
iPhone holder.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

It's an idea Harv thanks, but I would not drive around with the glove box lid down. Apart from it not being safe for my passenger (canine or human), seeing the very untidy air-con related mess in the hole where the box used to be would make me feel unhappy😖.
Sucker for a rusty bomb