Project 2.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Re: Project 2.

Post by funkyscooter »

What an achievement - well done Brett. You made it look easy!
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Aircon working well.
I understand that 'engineering' can be a fraught experience, but in my case it was an opportunity to learn from someone who knows old Holdens and wants to see them on the road. I had 3 visits before yesterday and basically we talked through what I was going to do and the way he wanted it done. The rack and pinion steering was a case in point: Peter said the LJ R&P I had would not be ideal for HR front geometry and so we agreed to match the EK box to my LJ collapsable column. I would have preferred R&P but went with the flow. Similarly, I had bought a Gemini master cylinder with booster and he said no. I needed a dual 7inch booster and 1inch dual master. He suggested the Proflow kit and that's the way it went. By the by, I ended up ditching the sexy black master cylinder as they were so badly made the brakeline tapers leaked. Tried 2 and both were crook. He wanted certain thickness plates for clutch and steering column firewall mounts and that's what he got. We agreed on seat mounts when he saw my Forrester seats a vist or two back and that's what he got etc etc. So yesterday he just confirmed that I did what he wanted. I thought the brakes were not ideal but they came back from testing inside the parameters and he said that as the linings were new they would take time to bed in. When he came back in the car after the tests I could smell them, so he gave them a work out. I borrowed a mates hoist for the inspection and on the 5km drive home I noticed the improvement in the brakes already.
I also learnt that my tailshaft had been modified at some stage and that I had 2 inch lowered Lovell front coils on the front. He also suggested no toe in and 2 and 4° camber on front wheels. He listened to the motor and retimed it by ear- his ear is better than mine. It purred home.
There is a certain comfort in having your efforts positively critiqued by an expert when you are a do-it- your-selfer. I can be confident now that my car is safe and compliant: it's a nice feeling, given Kate and I are going to drive it often.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

I agree with him on the Gemini master and Falcon booster. It was a neat combination from the 1990s that bolted together and cleared the bonnet hinge. The booster really is too small though for what we are asking it to do. If I had my time again, I would have done something different and avoided the vacuum tank/pump drama.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Brett027 wrote:None Blacky. The Retro Air unit does demisters, heater and cool and because of that there is a lot of large diam ducting to get in the dash space. I had planned to run a vent on drivers side but could not route the duct to it in the available space. The Mini Gen 2 unit has two central vents so one of those will do drivers side. It has the same type of options as modern car units so I can get cooling and heating to come to floor and vents simultaneously on one setting so should be fine without a far right hand vent.
As for ease of install, no dramas. The evaporator fits snuggly behind glove box ( one mount is a longer bonnet hinge bolt through firewall and other two on dash panel support. To fit the wiring kit and ducting in the space, the glovebox has to go. With the addition of my centre console there is zero net loss of space, but that part is the only compromise.
If your engine can run the compressor then the rest is easy. Because I couldn't, one hose from the evaporator runs under carpet on the floor along the drive shaft hump, through cab wall and to the electric compressor. The long hose from the condensor runs accross through LHS inner guard and then follows inside front guard along inner guard panel, down K Frame leg and along under floor coming through floor up next to compressor in rear.
The kit comes with home use fittings but I got my hoses made up using hydraulic crimps. The hose fittings are all O ring type and are straight forward to fit and in my case nothing leaked straight up. Bought a condensor unit to fit radiator dimensions and that was easy to install onto radiator support panels using rubber mounts. Beware that the bonet locking plate needed to move out a few mm's to clear condensor, and the horn will no longer fit in the original position as it hits the condensor - mine now sits on drivers side inner opposite fuel pump. Other than that it is a very straightforward job.
No dramas installing it all. I may have to fit an electric fan if engine cooling becomes problematic but haven't done the drive tests as yet. Check it out at Echuca.
Pretty much everything I had to do also, to fit the ac besides the elec compressor.
I got a vent over to the driver's side the ducting was tight over the rear of the speedo.
Great install mate. Looks good.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Absolutely fantastic Brett glad it has all come out fine and a really fantastic build, I’m in the process of looking at putting A/C in to Frank.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
briby
State: VIC

Post by briby »

Well done Brett terrific effort & craftsmanship, :thumbsup: will swap electric A/C tales at Echucca, got my letter today. :)
Briby
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Neil.
Briby- Sounds like a plan.
Probably be using the heater and demister part for that trip.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

[image][/image]
funkyscooter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am What an achievement - well done Brett. You made it look easy!
Thanks Scott.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Brett and Briby can you tell me what type and model you electric compressors are please so I can have a good idea of choice, I’ve been told by Jeff at Madd that some of them are unreliable.
Appreciate your thoughts
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Cheap ones are trouble. Rencool is the best and Aus made too. Buy direct from them if you go that way. Mine's a model '18'. There is a bigger one that might be better for sedan- I don't know.
Attachments
20221201_100807.jpg
20221201_100807.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 339 times
Last edited by Brett027 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
briby
State: VIC

Post by briby »

Mine seems ok @ medium speed ~4000rpm, not sure everything could handle higher Amps.
Briby
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I just had a look at their website to get an idea of pricing and they state these units are no longer available for individual sale , they must be bought as part of a package ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

HHMMM , so the MD24 is only available in 24VDC ???

Guessing they dont sell too many of those mounting brackets at $240 each :wtf: :lol: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, made mine based on that one but a wee bit different.
Sucker for a rusty bomb