Rear sway bar FYI

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Rear sway bar FYI

Post by Errol62 »

Thought I’d start a topic on this to help anyone seeking to fit one of these.
I believe Whiteline currently supply a rear bar which mounts on top of the front of the leaf spring as well as under the axle. I’m not a fan of these mainly due to the tacked on appearance.
Early bits sell an EH bar which is a bit expensive for my taste. Gledge has one of these fitted to his hard charging FB sedan.
Greg EK 283 has fitted an XK - XP falcon 18mm bar and for half the price I had decided to get one of these to go on one of my cars. I plan to fabricate proper mounts so the attaching hardware mainly won’t be used, apart from the insulators, saddles, washers and pins. The falcon bar has the deviation around the diff centre housing slightly offset but not noticeable on the car.
Then today I bought a NOS Selby 18mm EH bar on gumtree. Selby shut down their business some time fairly recently I believe.
First photo below shows the whiteline bar over the SelbyImageYou will see that the Selby bar has longer outer ends, which means if will be significantly less effective at hindering body roll. You can also see the whiteline bar is slightly wider at the axle mounting. There still seems to be adequate clearance to the shock absorber bottoms though.
Second picture shows that the Selby bar is slightly wider between the outer pivots but I don’t believe this is significantImage

It will be some time before I get around to fitting one of these. When I do I will post the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Errol62 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Wrongway Roger
State: SA

Re: Rear sway bar FYI

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Thanks Clay for posting this.
I have considered adding a rear sway bar to the ute.
This information will help heaps.
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.