EK convertible on SBS

Have you spotted any FB's or EK's we haven't seen before. Post your pics here.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

EK convertible on SBS

Post by Harv »

Spotted an EK convertible last night on SBS's Lyndsey and Herbie's Movable Feast (stop laughing.... it's not like I was reading old copies of Cosmopolitan or Better Gnomes and Cardigans in the doctors surgery :oops: ).

I spy an EK sedan, looks to be grey, chrome speaker grille, fixed lap-sash belts (Lyndsey needs to adjust hers to avoid faceplanting the dash in an accident), fancy exterior mirror, radio, bonnet budgie, flash white steering wheel. Looks to be black and white number plates EK0061, though unsure of the state.

The convertible is an unusual cut - the roof section above the doors seems to be retained. Haven't seen one an EK cut like that before, but that may be my ignorance. I'm curious about the pros or cons of that type of convertible cut (... paging Dr Mick.... Dr Mick.... )? I assume the row of "bits" along that retained roof line in the photo below are straps to hold down the convertible roof, with press studs along the top of the windscreen?

Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK.jpg
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 2.png
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 2.png (440.39 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Re: EK convertible on SBS

Post by EK283 »

Harv,

I'm sure this car has been on this forum before, or it was for sale some where along the line maybe ?

Wipers need to be adjusted with the parking, that would annoy me no end.

Very select market for a car chopped like this, great idea but in my view half an effort for a true convertible.

Regards Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I'm guessing that when you take the roof out (either the normal way, or like this) that a lot of rigidity is lost, and that significant bracing is needed underneath (along with all the engineering jiggery pokery). Not sure what you would gain by leaving that roof piece in place other than a simpler top to make (assume it has no frame, just a tonneau of some type that can fold up and go into the boot).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I saw this car in a shopping centre carpark many years ago in Bathurst and maybe at a nationals many years ago as well.
Weird setup in my eyes but the owner obviously thinks its OK
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

. . . and obviously the theatrical release poster is intended for an American audience, because why would you mirror the image of the car, rather than take the photo from the right front corner?
Harv

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm . . . and obviously the theatrical release poster is intended for an American audience, because why would you mirror the image of the car, rather than take the photo from the right front corner?
Sshhh! :shh: It's one of those rare LHD models that no-one can find anymore 8) . Only slightly more common than an EK Premier prototype :lol: .

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

EK283 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:03 amWipers need to be adjusted with the parking, that would annoy me no end.
You'll love the wipers even better when they swap drivers:

Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 3.jpg
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 3.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 777 times

The GoPro attachment on the bonnet budgie got a workout. The loose seatbelts drive me nuts. Some more photos:

Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 4.jpg
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 4.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 5.jpg
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 5.jpg (5.39 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 6.jpg
Lyndey and Herbie's Moveable Feast EK 6.jpg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

a fish bowl convertible :shock: :lol: that car has been done a long long long time even before i'de cut any up, at a guess atleast 25-30 years, it disapeared for a long time and as suggested it turned up on here when the forum was very popular, it changed hands a few times i think it was used in a TV show or movie and then worked it's way to a car yard where it was for sale for quite a while i think it started around the 20k mark and end up i think down around 10k and since the car yard has disapeared again

as for structure i would say there would need to be considerable reinforcing in the roof rails to stop them folding inwards then i'de assume some considerable under floor bracing, though as long ago as it was done i'de seen some questionable convertible conversions back in those days but for it to still be around it must be done quite well

from memory it was grey motor and hydramatic
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

this cars history has now been reinvented as a factory 1 of 5 convertibles...

In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hmmmm ....... interesting! :shock:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I have a spare roof to fix it !!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

There has been quite a "spirited " :ebiggrin: discussion on bookface in the last few days about this heap , as Patrick said - its now one of 5 factory built cabriolets :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people have very vivid imaginations ........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:34 pm There has been quite a "spirited " :ebiggrin: discussion on bookface in the last few days about this heap , as Patrick said - its now one of 5 factory built cabriolets :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people have very vivid imaginations ........
i must have been blocked for knowing to much :lol: because i can't find the post since i commented on some of it's history :problem: :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
gpi

Post by gpi »

Chris Fauchon
Author

Andrew Kyngdon you are WRONG as to the owner. I conceed I need to check up on the the old boys story about the factory convertible thing. Using the bullshit word is disrespectful and against the groups policy. The story I was told that this guy bought it off the showroom floor and that 5 were made, you don't know this one was Graham Murphy's, he could have had one of the other 4. I put this up for you guys to see, not for you to tell me I'm full of bullshit or someone has told me bullshit. There is no reason for the guy to tell me bullshit about the car and where he got it from. Also the friend of 30 years I was visiting at the time has known this guy for 11 years. As I have said I'm trying to check it's history, but it definitely did not belong to Graham Murphy.

...this guy took the red pill and entered the matrix... :lol: :lol: :lol:
gpi

Post by gpi »

also remember its a "barn find" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Fauchon
Author

Shane you need to see it in person. It's got dust all over it, but I had a good look at it and everything is in near new condition. There is no reason not to believe the guy, he is an avid car enthusiast and collector and has 100's of cars, most of them not looked after but had the sense to keep this one under cover.