TOYOTA 1GRFE V6 into EK or FC?

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

TOYOTA 1GRFE V6 into EK or FC?

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi, It has recently become a possible pick up for me to grab a 1GRFE 3.6 lire Toyota motor complete from a mates rolled FJ cruiser wreck.

Wondering if anyone has ever put one of these in an FE through EK? do that fit?

Not sure what box would go on it - perhaps an auto from Kluger which is same motor just different bore size - would prefer manual.

Is it too much of a stretch?

They are an awesome motor - basically bullet proof and drag even my 3Ton FJ around d with ease and then some running 35 inch tyres and lots of stuff giving it the aerodynamics of a brick.

Ta
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky
State: WA

Re: TOYOTA 1GRFE V6 into EK or FC?

Post by Blacky »

NFI - what are they ? V6 ??? would need to compare dimensions with other typical donor motors - a lot of these later motors have cast sumps so that could prove a problem
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yeah a V6 - might have to find a test car to trial it - great motor though - pumps out 160 at rear wheels through 3.56 gears in a 4wd running 35 inch rubber - would be very squeal worthy in a wagon with baby tyres
Blacky wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 pm NFI - what are they ? V6 ??? would need to compare dimensions with other typical donor motors - a lot of these later motors have cast sumps so that could prove a problem
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

You could do it, though it would require engineering, just like a V6 engine swap. The engineering brings with it all the associated dramas... collapsible column, dual circuit brakes, flashing indicators (more a worry for the FC than EK), seatbelts, demister plus anything else the engineer dreams of (chassis kit, discs, suspension upgrade etc). It is no different putting in a V6 than a V8. Its a lot of drama. A lot of blokes step back and question:

If I have to go through the drama regardless, what is the "coolest" motor that I want to end up with?

"Coolest" is different for everyone, but a lot of guys are attracted to the burble of a V8. Go-fast parts are also readily available, and cheap. V8s are also easy to onsell if you ever get tired of it.

Worth thinking through.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yeah I see your point Harv - It's just a dream at this stage but if the right car comes along it may happen sooner rather than later.
Harv wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:22 am You could do it, though it would require engineering, just like a V6 engine swap. The engineering brings with it all the associated dramas... collapsible column, dual circuit brakes, flashing indicators (more a worry for the FC than EK), seatbelts, demister plus anything else the engineer dreams of (chassis kit, discs, suspension upgrade etc). It is no different putting in a V6 than a V8. Its a lot of drama. A lot of blokes step back and question:

If I have to go through the drama regardless, what is the "coolest" motor that I want to end up with?

"Coolest" is different for everyone, but a lot of guys are attracted to the burble of a V8. Go-fast parts are also readily available, and cheap. V8s are also easy to onsell if you ever get tired of it.

Worth thinking through.

Cheers,
Harv