Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Re: Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post by Orange Betty »

Thanks Blacky, that is certainly a more palatable option. And thanks for the offer Billy.

I'll try to fab something up first just for fun...

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Well it's been awhile - again... But started work on the right rear qtr panel
RR Qtr.JPG
RR Qtr.JPG (69.97 KiB) Viewed 532 times
I have the Rare Spares lower patch panel so cut out a section to reveal the inner swiss cheese
RRQTR inner dmg.jpg
RRQTR inner dmg.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Donor section not perfect but salvageable
inner donor patch.jpg
inner donor patch.jpg (65.62 KiB) Viewed 532 times
fixed inner.jpg
fixed inner.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Now just trying to get the Rares patch to fit.

But I haven't been idle, I have alot of vintage/retro mountain bikes to look after....
bikes.jpg
bikes.jpg (190.37 KiB) Viewed 532 times
And more car related I finished my first engine build, as practice for Betty's grey motor.
186.jpg
186.jpg (135.88 KiB) Viewed 532 times
The Junk 186. 3 pistons were completely stuck in their bores and I broke 2 persuading them to come out. No 1 bore is waaaaaaay oversize, out of round and tapered and understandably only has 30 psi dry compression and 50 wet. The rest average 80. But it runs, so I didn't do too badly. The only new bits were bearings, rings, gaskets, fuel pump, spark plugs, leads and bits and bobs. The rest were original to the engine or used parts sourced elsewhere. It was good fun and I enjoy running it and disturbing the neighbours!

Dave
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Dave
A green Holden six….. wow!! With cylinder bores like that no wonder you don’t see too many in action 😊

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Dave,

I've lost count of the number of 186s I've had to bin because no. 1 cylinder bore wore badly at the front, and then the rings broke.

But I like the engine test setup. The music stand sets it off beautifully.

Rob
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I can vouch for the green. It's very loud. Imagine a green motor in an orange car. It hurts just thinking about it.

Glad you're back on the rust Dave. There's not much to go now.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

ardiesse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:09 pm Dave,

I've lost count of the number of 186s I've had to bin because no. 1 cylinder bore wore badly at the front, and then the rings broke.

But I like the engine test setup. The music stand sets it off beautifully.

Rob
Hi Rob, why is it that the #1 cylinder wears more than the others?

Dave
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Nice work Dave. Love a salvageable donor panel, and I like the green donk.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Dave,

You asked why number 1 wears out faster than the others. There's probably a Ph.D. to be had in this. It's peculiar to red motors. Some half-formed ideas:

The water pump impeller sits hard up against number 1 cylinder. You could imagine a situation where cavitation seriously reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder to the coolant. The top of the cylinder bore dissipates more heat, and the front of number 1 is subject to poor cooling anyway because of cavitation. So it gets hot. And it's the most "uphill" place in the motor, thus the most prone to lubrication failure. So I think it's a bad combination of high heat load, poor cooling and poor lubrication. If the motor was driven hard and not well cared for, all the conditions for rapid bore wear would be met.

And another thing - all the 186s I've binned because number 1 bore was flogged out at the front were 192s. So I think that thin cylinder walls are a contributing factor.

Who on the forum has experience of Valiant motors, or even f... ff... Ff.. ?

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Not me. But I can attest to 192s having cooling issues.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

The Low Compression (LC) Green motor was the model between the Red and Blue motors. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Never had an engine wear out like that but I have owned all the others but not Vals.

I can only tell you greys break the snout of the crankshafts in the number 1 bearing cap.

Reds will pull the block apart and crack horizontally to the bores, from memory number 1 was the worst.

When I used to be involved, the HQ boys would bore the 202's out in all cylinders except number 1. This may have been because of Robs info but the smarties did this so when the blocks were inspected by the officials they would measure # 1 only and move on. That was of course eventually found out. A liitle advantage was always required in such a tight ruled class !!!!!

As for frauds, I had a couple of sixes that went for ever and I never pulled them down, one of the 250 ci went between 3 cars before ending up in an XP which my family still owns. Mmmmm might drag that old girl out one day.

Regards Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Sat May 27, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many cars so little time!
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

ardiesse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:00 pm Dave,

You asked why number 1 wears out faster than the others. There's probably a Ph.D. to be had in this. It's peculiar to red motors. Some half-formed ideas:

The water pump impeller sits hard up against number 1 cylinder. You could imagine a situation where cavitation seriously reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder to the coolant. The top of the cylinder bore dissipates more heat, and the front of number 1 is subject to poor cooling anyway because of cavitation. So it gets hot. And it's the most "uphill" place in the motor, thus the most prone to lubrication failure. So I think it's a bad combination of high heat load, poor cooling and poor lubrication. If the motor was driven hard and not well cared for, all the conditions for rapid bore wear would be met.

And another thing - all the 186s I've binned because number 1 bore was flogged out at the front were 192s. So I think that thin cylinder walls are a contributing factor.

Who on the forum has experience of Valiant motors, or even f... ff... Ff.. ?

Rob
Ahhh, makes sense now that you say it.
Cheers
Dave
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Harv wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:37 am The Low Compression (LC) Green motor was the model between the Red and Blue motors. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
:lol: :clap:
Harv

Post by Harv »

I miss HQ racing, back when panels and subframes were still in wreckers. Watching that mob throw horribly heavy cars door handle to door handle was very cool.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:23 pm I miss HQ racing, back when panels and subframes were still in wreckers. Watching that mob throw horribly heavy cars door handle to door handle was very cool.

Cheers,
Harv
I remember watching them at Bathurst one year racing 4 wide into the corner - the tyre squeal was deafening ...... most entertaining division out there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.