Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post by EK283 »

Great Job !

The question relating to filler over bare steel or filler over epoxy has its merits both ways. Yes its been done for years over bare metal because there has been no other option until the epoxy appeared.
So filler on steel allows moisture in and onto the metal while it cures, if its sealed over well in dry conditions then great job it will last the entirety of the cars working life, if its in wet conditions and not fully dry it can pose issues with humidity bubbles and rust parent metal. It can take years for this to occur or can happen before you even put the final coats on, which of course show up when the weather becomes humid.

The filler over the spoxy does indeed seal out the moisture and keeps the filler off the bare metal and eliminates the chance for rust. Once painted over again with the epoxy it is completely sealed into a pocket ond no moisture will be able to start the corrosive process on the bare metal.

My preference now is the epoxy first then filler because it give you plenty of time to get the surface straight without leaving the bare metal around the repairs exposed to any moisture.

Its all good stuff, there is plenty to read on the internet and its a great learning and satisfying part of rebuilding a car.

Keep up the good work

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

What Greg says makes sense to me. You get the bare metal isolated from oxygen straight away. You sand through it when addressing the filler. Then you more or less re-etch the entire car or panel. It is the in between bit, where you sand through paint, then apply more filler that can get fiddly. You don’t want to mix up a batch of epoxy just to touch up the intermediate sand throughs. This is where I use aerosol cans of Protec 458. It is compatible with the 2k epoxy etch and the polyester filler.

The way you are going the car will be like new in no time. Keep rolling.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Hey Clay - always looking at paint and getting more confused the more I look. Just to clarify in my head........
Had a look at the spec sheet for 458 http://www.protec.com.au/images/uploads ... -03-18.pdf and it states "458 cannot be used over Acrylic lacquer or under Polyester fillers"
So could use it to touch up over filler, but not if you are going to apply more filler.
Thanks for the tip.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Ok thanks Dave. Was recommended suitable for use with epoxy 2k but didn't know about the polyester.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Hi All, thanks for the comments and sharing thoughts and advice. Some minor progress after the whole family have been hit with whatever winter lurgy is going around here :sickk:
Another patch done, looks ok from a distance...
1.jpg
1.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 671 times
And boot floor rough cut to fit Mustang fuel tank
2.jpg
2.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 671 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 671 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Cheers
Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Hey Dave - do you have the part number for that tank? 16 gallons? I started researching dimensions and I thought it was going to sit closer to the diff than yours. Might have been looking at the 69 tanks which are 22 I think. Inspired to start looking again!
Scott
Scott
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

It’s a shame they aren’t 50mm narrower- from that pic it looks like you could retain the spare wheel well if you offset the tank to the drivers side ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I offset the 16 gallon mustang tank in Ammo's ute so i could have a straight line on the exhaust.
I did move the filler to the side after this photo.
mustang tank in.JPG
mustang tank in.JPG (111.48 KiB) Viewed 635 times
My understanding is the tank the same width and length but get deeper as the capacity increases.
Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Your right Roger - just had a look through my notes and the tank I was looking at that was long was a '69 Maverick tank. It's a bit skinnier than the Mustang tank (699mm vs 829mm), so the spare wheel would fit. Just a bit too long. The filler is offset to the wrong side so some modding would be needed. I put that in the too hard basket.
Scott
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

funkyscooter wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:27 am Hey Dave - do you have the part number for that tank? 16 gallons? I started researching dimensions and I thought it was going to sit closer to the diff than yours. Might have been looking at the 69 tanks which are 22 I think. Inspired to start looking again!
Scott
Sorry Scott, no part number I can see. And while it may have moved over to save the spare wheel well I didn't want to mess with the perfectly aligned filler position!

Dave
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Mustang fuel tank rail dodgy'd up. Lots of gaps to fill and patching to do still.
IMG_20230719_132911.jpg
IMG_20230719_132911.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Dave
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

How much room is there between the tank and the diff? Maybe worth a look at sneaking the spare wheel well in there. Apart from the fact that it probably doesn't fit, I guess access to the fuel sender would be an issue.
Scott
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

That floor has more holes in it than John Lennons singlet :wtf: :wtf: you got some patching to do !!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Lump of ally underneath and fill up with mig. Good work avoiding modifying the fillerneck.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Yeah, lots of practice doing rust repair patches and good ol' copper backing is my friend. Looking better now
IMG_20230722_134150.jpg
IMG_20230722_134150.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 497 times
still some tidying up to do.

Dave