Pitting - when to replace?

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Post by Orange Betty »

Hi all, how much pitting can you accept before replacing? The worst of my inner sill is bottom front and on the top lip at the back.
inner sill pitting front.JPG
inner sill pitting front.JPG (35.73 KiB) Viewed 208 times
inner sill pitting top.JPG
inner sill pitting top.JPG (31.13 KiB) Viewed 208 times
My initial thoughts are to replace the top section but that the bottom front is ok. I can't poke anymore holes in it.

Cheers
Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I would try and get in behind to clean up and hold some copper or ally then spot fill with mig. Grind flush, good as new. As long as you can stop further rust, that’s the main thing. It’s probably going to be garaged and not driven in the rain. Make it look tidy and protect it with non porous coating such as two pac primer, por 15 or metalfix like I’m using.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Orange Betty
State: NSW

Re: Pitting - when to replace?

Post by Orange Betty »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 pm I would try and get in behind to clean up and hold some copper or ally then spot fill with mig. Grind flush, good as new. As long as you can stop further rust, that’s the main thing. It’s probably going to be garaged and not driven in the rain. Make it look tidy and protect it with non porous coating such as two pac primer, por 15 or metalfix like I’m using.

You mean fill the pits with weld? I'm glad I asked, I never would have thought of that.

Thanks Errol

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Pitting - when to replace?

Post by Errol62 »

Good luck with it. It’s taken me a while to get the technique right, but if you can get the metal clean, get a heat sink hard against the back of the hole and get the heat just right. Aiming the wire about 30 degrees to the surface a little outside the hole to build up metal and then work back in to the hole. Sometimes it becomes apparent the piece is too badly pitted. It can still be done but works out less work and a better finish to put in a patch.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie