Harv's McGee injection thread

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Harv's McGee injection thread

Post by Harv »

This is the McGee set that I didn't buy. It was supposed to be Falcon 2V, but some Googling seems to show the manifold bolt orientation is wrong for any Falcon 6 I can find.

Any Fraud fans know what this fits (will take wild guesses from the non-Fraud camp too :lol: ).
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 1.jpg
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 1.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 577 times
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 2.jpg
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 2.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 577 times
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 4.jpg
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 4.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 577 times
Cheers,
Harv
Attachments
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 5.jpg
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 5.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 577 times
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 3.jpg
McGee injeciton for Falcon 6 3.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 577 times
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

LOOKS LIKE ITS SET UP FOR A WEBER MANIFOLD ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 pm LOOKS LIKE ITS SET UP FOR A WEBER MANIFOLD ???
Agree - looks like triple DCOE's. I don't think any of the Falcons came from the factory with triple Webers, but thought I'd ask (my Fraud knowledge is slim).

Because the manifold is made of three separate throttle bodies, you could use one throttle body for a car with only a single Weber, two throttle bodies for twin Webers etc. My guess is that the Falcon that these came off had an adaptor like this one:

Ford 250 crossflow Weber manifold.jpg
Ford 250 crossflow Weber manifold.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 554 times

So not really a McGee Falcon setup... more like a McGee Weber setup that someone has cobbled together with angle iron to suit a Falcon.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Back in 2020 I had the McGee pumps flow tested. The test results were disappointing the grey motor McGee (sliding vane) had too much internal clearance, and the red motor McGee (gear) would not take suction. I really wanted to use the grey motor pump on the meth monster or FED projects, as it sits neatly on an angle drive and slips in under the Repco head inlet manifold.

Managed to find a pump rebuilder/injection whisperer close to home who has a long history with speedcars/speedway. Took the grey motor pump over to him, and let him loose to fit, fiddle and flow test.

My seal replacement had not been successful (leaked like a sieve) so it got replaced. Interestingly, the spud drive is unique to the McGee pumps. I had thought it identical to early Hilborn (pre-hex drive), but apparently not. Some polishing of the vanes to remove pitting, and on to the flow bench. Pump flows OK, but runs out of grunt at 2000 pump-rpm. These pumps are usually cam driven, which would mean that at 4000 crank-rpm the pump would no longer keep up with engine demand. This is not good news. I need to spin this thing out to twice that crank speed, and the idea of leaning out at the top end of the track is horrifying.

I might get away with under-driving it (say at 1/2 crank speed), but only if there is enough pump flow at that speed to feed the engine. Can't readily do that with the angle drive either without regearing it. Bugger. Plan B is to run the red motor McGee pump, or failing that the Hilborn BL420 pump I rebuilt. Suspect neither will fit under the Repco inlet manifold, so will need to be driven off the cam snout, crank or supercharger shaft. Will take a box of McGee bits over to him this week and see if we can work out a plan.

The only good news is I found out now. Finding out later (when the engine bay layout was finalised) would be painful. Finding out by having molten aluminium sparkles coming out of the zoomies as I pass the finish line at 8000rpm would have been worse.

Managed to find a machinist locally to finish off the two McGee angle drives I bought a while back. Another speedcar gentleman. I own three McGee angle drives - a complete one, one that needs the shaft being made up, and a bronze one that needs finalising too (bits are there but need machining). Dropped off an old dead grey motor cam (with thanks to Clive Cams) to provide the gear, and an old dead dizzy shaft for the shaft. Gave him a call this week, the bronze one is done and he is starting on the alloy one.

Slowly, slowly.

Cheers,
Harv
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

McGee fuel injection angle drive distributor $450

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaid ... 1309282183
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

There is a lot of work in that to make a functional unit. Machine two bearing lands, drill centre bore, face/drill and tap top surface and make up lid, drill one (or both) entry ways, machine clamps and drill and tap for setscrew, cut down camshaft and recover gear, mill down distributor shaft, weld together gear and shaft, press-fit bearings, assemble.

Neat job for the home machinist, and happy to help out the purchaser if they want dimensions/photos to work to.

Cheers,
Harv