Lucas generator

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Lucas generator

Post by fraze »

The Lucas C39Q generator on my FB has failed. I have a Lucas PV2 generator , dated 2/58, which I would like to use in it’s place. Will there be any problems with that? Thanks, Fraze
fraze

Re: Lucas generator

Post by fraze »

I missed a bit - should read Lucas C39PV2, Fraze
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

The C39PV is the FE-FC type of Lucas generator, and has the terminals sticking out the rear of the generator. The connections are the same, and the regulator's the same.

The D+ wire (brown) goes to the larger terminal, the DF wire (dark blue) goes to the smaller terminal. You might have to use a couple of flat washers to clamp the fork lug properly. The only disadvantage of the -PV generator is that the wires are more exposed to exhaust heat.

While you're at it, inspect the connections at the generator end for fraying. Strip the wires back and re-solder to the lugs if needed. And make sure the black lead (ground) is connected firmly to the generator body.

What went wrong with your old C39Q?

Rob
fraze

Post by fraze »

Hi Rob, thanks for the advice re the C39PV2 gen. What went wrong with the C39Q is a bit of a story. The FB engine was fitted with a Nippon Denso gen when I got it. I sourced the correct C39Q which was supposed to have been recoed however when I tried to motor it to check and polarise it, it rotated anti clock wise. I took it to an auto elec to have the polarity changed. the auto elec claimed that it would be ok (frankly I didn't believe that) and he gave it back to me in a box.I wondered at the time about the box. When I got home with it one of the mounting flanges was broken and the pulley was badly buckled.It had obviously been dropped, of course the Auto elec denied all knowledge and said I must have dropped it. I've got no proof so i am stuck with it. Not happy but there you go. Fraze
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

Depends on which bracket has been broken - I have a few drive-end brackets for C39s at home, but my commutator end brackets generally have flogged-out bushes.

I think the direction of rotation doesn't depend on the polarity of your electrical system, but on the direction of winding of the field coils. You'd change it over by exchanging the connections - so the "ground" field coil wire is connected to the DF terminal and vice versa.

The pulley usually can be straightened by a few deft blows with a hammer.

Rob