How to connect steering

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FireKraka
State: WA

How to connect steering

Post by FireKraka »

Guys I need some assistance I am fitting a 305 SBC to a guys FC sedan he purchased running gear apparently from another FC, CRS HR X member with front mounted rack.
All the gear was out of the car so I didn't get a chance to see it all fitted.
I fitted the steering column the other day and then went to fit the Torana uni's but as you can see in the photo number 1 it is too short and number 2 the end of the steering column doesn't match, the column is a collapsable one that has the see through wire base.
Can anybody assist with what type of uni's have been used and a photo maybe of the arrangement.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
59wagon

Re: How to connect steering

Post by 59wagon »

Hi Neil, don’t know if it’s relevant, but Greg EK 283 recently posted some mod’s to a UC column.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... mn#p237378

Cheers,

John
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

Hi Neil
That steering column shaft is pretty thick so I'm guessing it could be a hqxjz one is there a key barrel on the column not sure what they have done but it looks to have been turned down to fit a Uni but it won't fit that torrie Uni
So maybe a rag joint type then another small shaft into the torrie Uni may work :problem:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Looks like there's a piece missing, was that made from a Tirana column ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Thanks for the replies guys not sure what the column is hence the questions :roll: no ignition on the column looks like FC honey pot and blinker mech.
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Neil,

Its hard to tell what the column shaft is from it appears its splined internally ??

I had lots of ideas when I did mine, but at the end of the day its what fits best. I machined my steering shaft to double DD then went borgeson to torry ( cotter pin ).

To me that uni looks to far up from the column it sould be lower down towards the subframe, what rack is it ?

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Neil
I am fitting 305 sbc with front mount rack torana uni's and colume I will post photos of mine a soon as I can .
That steering mount wont pass an engeneer it has to be collapsable as I am sure you know I used modified torana mount on mine.
Last edited by BILLY BLACKARROW on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Hi Neil
For some reason I cant post photos i dont know why I have done it before
The uni you are using looks like Torana / But in my setup I am useing two uni's one at the steering rack and one at the bottom of the colume with a longer intermediate shaft in between. Hope this helps
Last edited by BILLY BLACKARROW on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Yes similar to mine Billy,

So looking at the photos a bit better it appears the intermediate shaft is to short,I am assuming there is another uni down near the subframe out of sight.

You could have the steering shaft machined to suite the torana uni. The only issue will be road shock and hum through the column because of the solid universals. If you can fit a rag joint on the bottom with the shaft being inline then good.

I think the column shaft has been machined for something else but I cant tell you what it is ????????

As billy has said the top mount of the column has to break away so the clamp will not pass, here in NSW anyway.

Regards Greg
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Thanks guys.
Yes there is a rag joint at the bottom on the torana front mounted rackand I showed it this way to show it was short and that the top torana uni was not going to fit the steering column shaft.
It is splined inside which makes me wonder what it is might see if I have a spline section that I can fit in there and go to the torana uni.
Again thanks for the comments.
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Its making sense now Neil,

It will be 9/16 splined end with clamp (steering shaft) to the torana cotter pin uni, just a short piece by the looks of it.

Greg
greenwagon62
State: QLD

Post by greenwagon62 »

20190326_202335.jpg
20190326_202335.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 819 times
20190326_202549.jpg
20190326_202549.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 819 times
I had a similiar problem, so I had the column machined to 3/4 DD and then just made the shaft to suit using borgesson uni joints and 3/4 dd shaft.
Harv

Post by Harv »

The CRS front racks are normally UC Torana. They have a small stub that peeks out of the rack. CRS belt the crap out of the top of the crossmember to make a divot. The stub lies in that divot. Attached to the end of the stub is a Torana rag joint. At the column end, the collapsible column inner is ground down to suit another Torana rag joint (see dimensions in original CRS fitting instructions below). The two rag joints are bridged with a piece of brightstock bar, which CRS supplies. You cut the bar to length to suit, and grind flats to suit the rag joint cotter pins.
CRS chassis kit to FE EK 2 of 2.pdf
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Warning: mount the headers, and any other crap BEFORE mountiing the steering. You may well have to move the bottom of the column towards the drivers side by ~1" (and hence remake the firewall plate) to clear #8 cylinder.

The guys are right - that top mount is supposed to be breakaway. Some engineers will object, others may not.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Yes good one Harv,

Breakaway like this and bright steel rod for the intermediate.(paint does not like sticking to this !!!!!)
IMG_0139-001.JPG
IMG_0139-001.JPG (140.6 KiB) Viewed 801 times
IMG_0138-001.JPG
IMG_0138-001.JPG (167.13 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Greg