Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Post by Blacky »

well done , lots of work and at least she is certified and on the track :thumbsup: times ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

https://youtu.be/z81LVaST38g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BS

Post by BS »

Blacky wrote:well done , lots of work and at least she is certified and on the track :thumbsup: times ???
Yep most the hard work is done. It drives great just need to get it running right. Will be a little weapon when it’s sorted. As for times it was all just exhibition 1/8 mile. The car had been running like shit and fowling plugs all day. On the last run I tried to hold it flat to clear it out and next thing I knew the tachometer was at 7k... whoops. This was enough to throw the v belt, get it a little too hot for my liking and maybe damage the oil pump because oil pressure at idle disappeared. Not a good way to end but all a big learning curve.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Oops.. hard to kill an oil pump, but relatively easy to kill a set of big-end bearings. No growl/knock at idle now?

If you want some carb parts to tune it, let me know. I've got a good range of main metering jets, power bypass valves, venturi sleeves etc that you are welcome to borrow.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

One of the first lessons I learnt when racing speedway was that rev limiters are cheap insurance 😉
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BS

Post by BS »

Harv wrote:Oops.. hard to kill an oil pump, but relatively easy to kill a set of big-end bearings. No growl/knock at idle now?

If you want some carb parts to tune it, let me know. I've got a good range of main metering jets, power bypass valves, venturi sleeves etc that you are welcome to borrow.

Cheers,
Harv
No it’s not knocking or rattling. I also have the standard idiot light wired in and it goes out straight away so there is some oil pressure there. Spanners reckons the readings I have are normal but I am certain I had more oil pressure previously. I’ll dump the oil and have a look and probably drop the sump and check the bearings.

Once I’m happy with the alternator alignment and oil pressure I might have to take you up on the offer of borrowing your tuning kit. Image

BS

Post by BS »

Blacky wrote:One of the first lessons I learnt when racing speedway was that rev limiters are cheap insurance Image
Yeah it was pretty stupid of me. Created more work for myself but hopefully nothing too serious.

Harv

Post by Harv »

BS wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 pm Spanners reckons the readings I have are normal but I am certain I had more oil pressure previously.
Spanners is a bad influence :lol: 8)

My wish list sees your and his Hambster lined up at the Christmas tree.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS

Post by BS »

If I can get mine going as good as his I’ll be pretty happy

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

They can face off against your FB harv

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

That would be really fun. Unusual to see the Hambsters lined up against anything else... but some grudge racing or test-and-tune runs would be a hoot. What I'll have over them in power they will catch me with less weight. Times will be similar - low fourteens.

Cheers,
Harv
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

That looks awesome and a lot of fun. congrats.

hopefully you'll have the gremlins sorted soon

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
BS

Post by BS »

Now that would be cool.

BS

Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Post by BS »

Cool vid the guys at overtaking lane put together of the event. They have been following the build and said they wanted to come out so was pretty stoked they thought the car was good enough to feature. Anyway it’s a Really good event if anyone is up this way this time of year. Next year I’ve got to help spanners enter as he doesn’t have Facebook.

https://youtu.be/hKyF0Qe0yeE

Harv

Post by Harv »

Sweet 8)

That orange Williams 2-door was mighty squirrelly.

Either you or Spanners coming to Eastern Creek for the Day of the Drags?

Cheers,
Harv