Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Post by Blacky »

Do you have a borescope ? Would be a handy gadget I would imagine for situations such as this ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Blacky wrote:Do you have a borescope ? Would be a handy gadget I would imagine for situations such as this ??
No I don’t but can get hold of one fairly easily to have a look inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BS

Post by BS »

Well did the self tapper in the rocker union trick. Have oil coming out of the rockers in around 15 secs now and it’s bumped my oil pressure up at idle another 2-4psi. Oil pressure has never been a concern though but I guess it has given me piece of mind that all that side of things is ok.

Ran a compression test. No issues there and also ran a leakdown test without any concerns with the result.

Will run my usual post meeting maintenance and just send it…

I’m thinking it’s still a fuel issue. I’ve managed to tune the flat spot out of it and it seemed to be leaving way better but still feels like it has a lot left in the tune. Will keep chipping away.

I’ve also started plying with the su plumbing on the dummy engine. If spares box every sort my order out I’ll start getting a bit more serious with the sus.

Once I get a bit of a break between events (after a long hiatus thanks to the weather/covid) I’m going to swap out the camshaft to something more suitable and proceed with getting the sus on.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Good news on the compression and leakdown. :D

You'd think if it was fuel though that the AFR would have been going nuts.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS

Post by BS »

Yeah for sure. According to the AFR everything is still reading super fat and doesn’t seem to make any real difference when I change the jetting. I pull the plugs every run and I’d expect to see them rather sooty with an AFR of 10:1 but apart from the last run they looked good after each run even after driving it back up the return road.

Like I said seat of the pants it felt like the flat spot is gone but overall still not happy with it.

Harv

Post by Harv »

10:1 is damn rich, and agree it should be sooty. Mebbe lean out the power bypass valves a little more and carefully watch the plugs. Back out of it mid-run if it pings like crazy. The leanest I've got are #71's and you're already leaner.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS

Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Post by BS »

Last weekend I took the car out to one of my favourite events. Carralbyn 1/8 mile drags.

There was a really good variety of cars out at the event and the weather was spot on.

Most importantly I seemed to have turned a bit of a corner on the car and it ran really well.

I pulled the plugs during the event and things were looking good. After the weekend I had completed 8 runs, plus the return runs and a fair bit of faffing around in the line up and the plugs looked like new still.

Keen to get it back to the track to see what it does over the quarter.

On a side note my sparring partner Brian blew his clutch (again) at the last test and tune we attended. He got the car back together for Carralbyn but driving it off the trailer to tech he noticed a bottom end knock. They thrashed Saturday night fixing what turned out to be a loose flywheel and had it back together for racing Sunday. We got a bit mucked around on the start line on our first race and in the chaos he forgot to turn his fuel pump on which caused a big backfire and a few more dramas. After that he decided to cut his losses and pack it up. I’ll go give him a hand next weekend to try get it sorted out.

We had hoped to come down to Sydney for day of the drags but we will assess the damage next weekend to see if this will be feasible or not.

Anyway video footage below

Ended up with the following
R1 - RB30T anglia (L)
R2 - RB30T anglia (w)
R3 - Supercharged V6 Willys hotrod (L)
R4 - &*#@ Hambster (w)
R5 - SBC roadster (w)
R6 - BBF 520ci Galaxie (L)
R7 - Flatty roadster (w)
R8 - Flatty roadster (w)

https://youtu.be/Gd8OqfogDcM

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

cool 8) good to hear you are getting around the tune - can be a frustrating journey ......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

The commentator is right:
"when have you heard a grey motor that sounded like that?"

Very cool.

Cheers,
Harv