Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Grey Motor Drag Car Build

Post by BS »

Weather permitting a few of us hambster guys will hit a test and tune late jan/early Feb before we hit Carralbyn 1/8 mile drags at the end of Feb. hopefully by Carralbyn I’ll have my head somewhat around the tune up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Nice work Brendon. What do you guys do in your spare time?!

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BS

Post by BS »

Another pretty successful run last night at Willowbank Raceway. PB’d again with a 15.729 @ 85.60 and making in roads with the tune after putting the AFR gauge in over the Xmas break. Still a lot left in the tune but moving in the right direction and most importantly no breakages. Had a heap of mates come out and support me with a few bringing their cars for a play (non hamb friendly). A massive shout to Lindsay Wilson and Maxine Wilson for making the trek out to Willowbank. If you look back through my thread Lindsay is who I got the engine from for my car (ex salt lake FX Holden Ute). I was really stoked these guys got to see the car run in the flesh it was pretty special for me. HUGE thanks to my mates who come out and helped me setup, pack up, prep the car and make adjustments. Having these guys there keeps me calm knowing they are all taking care of business (with a friendly ribbing when I stuff something up) Andrew Schmidt Brad Ridgway Dean South and the birthday boy Greg Thornton. Brian Handke for coming out and running his car and keeping us company. As usual his car was a rocket. Finally and most importantly thanks to my wife and the boys for coming out and making it a family affair. I loved having the family there supporting and helping out even though I was running around all night. Can’t wait to do it again albeit a bit more laid back at Carralbyn in a few weeks time.

BS

Post by BS »

A bit of footage from Friday night. Forgive me for the footage quality I’m learning how to operate the GoPro and it’s setting as well as tune and drive the car so the GoPro is low priority during a limited 3hr test and tune…

https://youtu.be/TRYBVmNjwWw

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Wicked

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Very, very cool 8)

Are you running a full slick on the rear, or radials? Slicks have got a soft enough sidewall that lowering pressure helps, the radials (and drag radials) are normally stiff enough in the sidewall that they won't wrinkle up (and moosh out) much.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS

Post by BS »

Harv wrote:Very, very cool 8)

Are you running a full slick on the rear, or radials? Slicks have got a soft enough sidewall that lowering pressure helps, the radials (and drag radials) are normally stiff enough in the sidewall that they won't wrinkle up (and moosh out) much.

Cheers,
Harv
Hey Harv,

The class runs a specified rear tyre which is a bias ply treaded tyres with a tire tread width measuring no greater than 6”. Most guys are running L78 Coker classics which is around 29” diameter and have big sidewalls. I have a set of G78s here which are 27” in diameter I am going to have a play around with ones I get the AFRs and timing dialled. I’m running a W40 Toyota gearbox and Hilux diff (full spooled) with 4.11s and cross the line in third gear around 6000rpm on the quarter which is about right for the top end but apart from being a bit fat in the fuelling still I’m wondering if the force required to get the big 29” tyres moving off the line is also causing a bit of the staggering/stuttering in first gear off the line. As soon as you shift it into second the thing takes off like a rocket but the initial launch and front 1/8 mile is where I think all the time to be made is

BS

Post by BS »

BS

Post by BS »

Above post is the incrementals. Brian’s car with the falcon motor is in the other lane.

Harv

Post by Harv »

Each motor runs differently, from launch through to the traps. The table here though is not a bad guide to analysing the incrementals:
https://www.musclecardiy.com/performanc ... -traction/

Brian's incrementals are pretty close to the mark. The bottom end of the chart is a little quick for your times (for now 8) ), but you can probably graph them out and extend backwards to a 15.7 quarter.

For shits-and-giggles, this is the last pass down the quarter in my EK wagon (with the HR alongside :D ) before Number One Son grenaded the diff:
EK wagon timeslip.jpg
EK wagon timeslip.jpg (682.97 KiB) Viewed 597 times
I'm a little sluggish in the 60', but then come charging home at the end. Traction is OK, but I'm runny a slightly slow torque convertor, and 3.08 rear end. A bigger stall or a set of 3.55s would help me.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS

Post by BS »

Hey everyone. It’s been a while. Not much action over here. We have had some pretty serious weather with a fair bit of flooding happening this year and lots of rain so a heap of events have been cancelled. On top of that the global issues with parts availability, freight etc has caused a few hassles with trying to get the SU’s on so with the nostalgias fast approaching I made the call to get the strombergs back on and persevere with getting my head around them. A few “private road” runs at a mates property out in the sticks and I think it’s as close to running properly as it has ever been.

Anyway, here is a bit of a video on explaining my current settings and what I’ve done to try make these strombergs work. I’ll try hit the track later in July with Brian and then hopefully catch all the guys at the nostalgias Mid August
[MEDIA=youtube]jAkRqIj4zSo[/MEDIA]

WesternWagon
State: WA

Post by WesternWagon »

Looks like ya having fun mate

Gazza
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
BS

Post by BS »

WesternWagon wrote:Looks like ya having fun mate

Gazza
It’s a love hate relationship as with most old cars haha

Harv

Post by Harv »

I reckon your ears must still be ringing tuning triples with open headers 8)

Glad you found some private roads to tune on... lot more frustrating trying to do it at the track between runs.

Cheers,
Harv
BS

Post by BS »

Harv wrote:I reckon your ears must still be ringing tuning triples with open headers 8)

Glad you found some private roads to tune on... lot more frustrating trying to do it at the track between runs.

Cheers,
Harv
Spending years working airside on RAAF bases with my head stuck in 2 stroke GM diesel fire trucks my hearing is not as great as it should be but I 100% wear ear muffs tuning this. It’s loud..

And with the weather the limited test and tunes that have been run have been at or near on capacity meaning an incident or oil down and you are lucky to get more then 2 runs in….

In saying that it’s probably to the point now where I need to get it to the track to look at the slip. See how we go in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.