Hi low horn wiring question

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

contenderoz
State: VIC

Post by contenderoz »

G'day all,

I got lucky last Friday and picked up a correct FB EK hi note horn in a box of horns at the Ballarat Swap ($5; pretty happy with myself). I tried to connect it up yesterday and cant get it to work proper so thought some one here may be able to help out.
When I connect Hi horn directly to the two wires that come off the loom that go onto the low (standard) horn it works, when I then connect these two wires back onto the low horn and then run new wires from low horn blade terminals to hi terminals only the low horn will work. All four terminals on the low horn when connected are live with a test light. If I run an earth from the body and earth the back terminal on the hi horn it works and then if I earth the other terminal on the Hi horn the low horn works. Any ideas what is going on here? It seems that there is not enough earth coming through from the low horn to activate the hi? what could be causing this? any help appreciated, thanks. Al
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Hi low horn wiring question

Post by Errol62 »

The two horns need to be wired in parallel. So this means wire from positive terminal of existing horn to positive terminal of new horn. Then a wire from negative terminal of existing horn to negative terminal of new horn. Sounds to me you are running them in parallel. You’re effectively doubling the resistance. Voltage being constant, the current is halved so not enough to drive the coils on the horns. Well something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Hi Al, congrat’s on finding the high note horn you lucky bugger! it could be, as you say, a dicky earth that’s the problem (as with most electrical issues).
Forgive me if I’m telling you how to suck eggs, but first up check your horn and wire terminals are clean. On the horn, each terminal has two lugs so make sure you’re connected like in the first picture, and not like in the second.

ImageImage

It doesn’t really matter which way around you put the wires as the horn doesn’t know the difference, much like an incandescent light globe. Run a red wire from the other red lug of the low horn and a tan from the other tan lug, both to the high horn and connect these two wires the same as the picture above - I’ve never seen a high note horn but assume the terminals look the same with perhaps just one lug instead of two on each terminal. Check if it works and, if not, do the following.
Check you have power to the terminals with the red wire and connect an earth from the battery -ve terminal to the terminal with the tan wire - you should have noise. If not, there’s a horn problem. If you do have noise, then the problem is likely a dodgy connection at the steering wheel end. See how you go with that first up.

Cheers,

John

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

So is the earth on horns all through the bracket back to body?

When reassembling do you need make sure there is metal on metal contact through the bracket and not limited by paint etc?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

No Rob
Earth is through the horn button to steering column.

And the two horns need to be run in parallel Al. I think that is your problem.

Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
contenderoz

Post by contenderoz »

Thanks for your responses. Clay, I reckon I have it wired in parallel; one wire to each of the two double terminals on the back of the standard horn from the loom and then one wire (two wires total) from each double terminal to the single terminals on the back of the hi horn (as same as first photo in Johns post). Not an earth problem as the horn does not need to be earthed to work. I have read in the limited info on the net that the original fitment had a relay involved for the second horn, could this be the issue?? Al
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Have you tried running a wire straight to the battery -ve terminal from the tan wired horn terminal yet Al?
There’s no relay shown in the wiring diagrams - the only difference shown is that the wires from the lo horn to the hi horn change from 14g(thicker) to 16g (thinner). A relay shouldn’t make a difference to the operation, though a relay is a good idea to save wear on the horn switch, as two horns would pull quite a few amps (especially if you’re an impatient, short tempered driver who likes to hold the horn ring down for more than a second).
Also Al, make sure your battery’s in good nick. I’ve had occasion when a failing battery hasn’t had the oomph needed to energise the horn. If you’ve been testing the horn a few times without charging the battery (running the car), it’s possible your battery’s a bit low.
FJWally Rob, if you look at the horn terminals, you can see they are both insulated from the horn body so, as Clay said, the horn is earthed when you press the horn ring.
Clay, as long as the original two leads plug into the same horn, it’s not really possible to run the horns in series and reducing the current through each, if that’s what you’re thinking.

Cheers,

John

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

ImageSounds like you have it wired correctly Al. No relay in the wiring diagram that I can see.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

As John says you can try eliminating the earth or feed circuit by bypassing direct to battery terminals. Otherwise the battery. Possibly a combination of old wiring and weak battery not managing the extra load.

EK van on rotisserie
contenderoz

Post by contenderoz »

G'day All,

I got it to work today after taking the original low horn off and cleaning the terminals, all fixed. Funny how problems are usually fixed by the simplest things in the end, seem to over think things a bit....

Looks pretty don't you reckon and sounds pretty cool. Thanks for you ideas and help once again. Al
Attachments
Morton horns.jpg
Morton horns.jpg (388.05 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Good stuff Al and yeh it looks good. The new horn looks a bit out of place though. I think you need to rub it in some brown dirt to match the other one Your washer bottle looks cool too

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes. Lucky feller finding one of those hens teeth. I love the symmetry.

EK van on rotisserie