Help! How do I remove rubber bump stops?

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Carltailfin
State: INT

Help! How do I remove rubber bump stops?

Post by Carltailfin »

Hi Folks,

I have stripped down the front suspension on my EK to its components parts. Everything is now rust-free and shiny metal, ready for galvanising. Only thing is all 4 rubber bump stops are all still attached to my wishbones.......They are in very good condition but they wont survive the vat of boiling zinc they are going to get dipped in........I have seen you can get new bumpstops with the metal cups so I am assuming the old ones can be removed somehow but I dont know how. They dont unscrew do they? - could it really be that simple - or are they riveted on/ welded on via the metal holder. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

Carl
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Help! How do I remove rubber bump stops?

Post by Blacky »

The rubber pushes into the metal cup mate, just prise them out with a big flat bladed screwdriver
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Carltailfin
State: INT

Post by Carltailfin »

Cheers Blacky!

Much appreciated! The replacements bumpstops I have seen on Ebay I think were fitted in to the metal cups so I assumed the whole assembly had to be replaced........Anyway Happy Days!!!! Big blunt scrrwdriver it is then! Thanks!

Carl
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

G clamp and liberal quantity of swearing are essential for reinstalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 am G clamp and liberal quantity of swearing are essential for reinstalling.

Or a dollop of rubber grease and a twisting/pushing motion 😉
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 am G clamp and liberal quantity of swearing are essential for reinstalling.
Blacky wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm Or a dollop of rubber grease and a twisting/pushing motion 😉
You can do it without the g-clamp or grease, if you use more swearing. I wonder why my neighbour's kids vocabularies are growing :oops:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

:lol: :lol: