Speedo gurus... any reccomendation for Sydney?

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Speedo gurus... any reccomendation for Sydney?

Post by Harv »

Craig Allardyce wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:12 am Not sure your over doing it Harv. I think its only the magnetic attraction of the cup to the spinning magnet that causes the rotation.
Nah, it really is that eddy-current process (electrical sorcery). Methinks the FB/EK speed cup is ally - no magnetic attraction. Couldn't get a magnet to stick to it.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driv ... meter3.htm

I finally got a chance to test run the car last weekend. Confirmed it was legal with the RMS, then took the car for a squirt up the M4. Number 1 Son tagged along, and took notes comparing the speedo to one of those fancy iPhone speedo apps. The EK speedo was out by a nice, consistant 10% (not bouncing around anymore), and reads too slow (not reading too fast anymore). The speedo error is almost spot-on what the TCI website calculator said it would be. I changed speedo gears from grey (22 tooth) to blue (20 tooth), though haven't taken it for another test-run.....

..... because the car decided it was not an EK wagon anymore. It is now a smoke machine.

Halfway back along the M4, and smoke started pouring out the back of the car. My fancy new transmission oil cooler had come adrift, and ATF was leaking onto the headers. Limped the car home (just), and found the culprit. I had installed one of the cooler hose clamps cock-eyed, and it had let go. Fixed the hose, and cleaned up most of the spray from under the car. Driveway test run shows no leaks.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Well you have to have something go a bit wrong on your first run or you’d be left wonders when it will. Your speedo should be spot on now, which is better than any factory fresh car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 am
Craig Allardyce wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:12 am Not sure your over doing it Harv. I think its only the magnetic attraction of the cup to the spinning magnet that causes the rotation.
Nah, it really is that eddy-current process (electrical sorcery). Methinks the FB/EK speed cup is ally - no magnetic attraction. Couldn't get a magnet to stick to it.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driv ... meter3.htm

Hmmmmm Harv, interesting stuff. I have some reading to do know! Thanks :-0