FB vs EK Control Arm Bumpers

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Just for a bit of Sunday night trivia......

I picked up a shagged EK sub-frame and front cross member with a few bits still attached yesterday, from a mate around the corner who was throwing it out.
While I was dragging the front end into the shed, I noticed that the control arm bumpers looked different to my FB ones.

FB followed by EK

Intrigued, I looked up the parts manual tonight and found that the bumpers were changed sometime during FB production and then carried on the same from EK to HD.

My car, being an earlier FB has the round rubber knob, which started with the FE, then changed to the conehead shape according to the manual below

What I find puzzling though, is that the lower control arms are the same part no. according to the manual, but if you look at the two pictures above, you can see that the steel flange that the bumpers connect to are different - EK is a larger diameter and shorter than FB. So back in the day, if you were to buy a new lower control arm, you could get the wrong one? Or perhaps the parts manual is wrong, and the early FB arm is the same as FE/FC? Anyone able to shed any light on this?

The top bumpers weren’t in much shape at all - they’re squashed up by the seized control arms.

Cheers,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by 59wagon on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I’ve observed the same thing John. My ute is a late FB and has the conical stops. I have an early front from the very early FB215 I cut up, and later one from the EK van I think. I think that is all,apart from HR drum and disc examples. One went under the EK215 when I said goodbye to it, along with a random rear axle. I kinda like the early ones. Another FB quirk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie