Trimatic issue.

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

sargez900
State: VIC

Trimatic issue.

Post by sargez900 »

Hi, I have an EK wagon with a 173 and early trimatic. The other day while I was driving the trans shifted down to first and now only have first and reverse. I have checked the vacuum line to the modulator and replaced the rubber bits just in case. Any knowledable Trimatic people have any hints what to look at next? I should add that it is an early cable type kickdown which has never been connected. When I checked the fluid level this morning it is way over the full mark coul this be due to not being able to run all the gears? I'm sure the level was OK last check.
Cheers Sarge.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Trimatic issue.

Post by Blacky »

Maybe the modulator has died ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

a) fluid level. Check warm, engine running, in Park. Remove and clean dipstick, check.
b) low line pressure - replace filter. If that does not sort it, need pressure gauges on the two test ports to check likely low pressure cause.
c) busted accumulator piston ring, clearance between accumulator piston and pin or damaged transfer plate gasket. Need to remove valve body to check.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
sargez900

Post by sargez900 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to pull the pan off today and see what I can find. I'll let you know how I get on.
sargez900

Post by sargez900 »

OK so got the pan off. There is a couple of small bits of melal in the pan. Would this point to something broken?
Pan.JPG
Pan.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 535 times
[image][/image]
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Silvery stuff that looks like fine paint, or slightly dark fluid can be normal wear and tear on the bands and clutches. Lumps of metal are not a good thing... something has come adrift inside. Replace filter, and you might get lucky and solve the problem. If not, take it to a trans shop.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
sargez900

Post by sargez900 »

Yeah I've changed the filter, Pulled the valve body off while I was there. Could not see anything obvious. I'll put it all back together tomorrow and see how it goes. It's been a day of learning. I had the valve body reassembled bolted back in when I relised I hadn't bolted the seperation plate to the valve body. On this one the seperation plate is bolted to the valve body. On latter ones they were not. Does it have to be bolted? I have already removed it and bolted the plate to the body just interested to know if it's needed. Also learnt it's blooody hard to balance the two check balls whilst tring to bolt the body up. Especially if your lying on your back. If I still have issues i will have to take it to a shop.
Cheers Sarge