Unexpected BBQ... generator reg

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Unexpected BBQ... generator reg

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:57 pm Autopsy 2 (Lucas C39): thrown solder from commutator. The growler tells me the armature's a mess of short circuits.
From memory, this was the one that stopped charging halfway home at Newcastle (idiot light came on). NRMA played with the cutout contacts, resulting in magic smoke coming out of the generator (whilst the engine was off).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Unexpected BBQ... generator reg

Post by ardiesse »

Yep. But I think the damage was done before Mr NRMA pushed the cutout relay contacts shut. There was a lot of thrown solder from the comm. inside the generator, suggesting to me that the generator had been overloaded for a good while.

Another useless piece of generator trivia: English-made C40 generators have the same distance between mounting holes as C39s - the yoke is 5-11/16" long. The Australian-made C40s, in contrast, are about 3/8" longer. The yoke is 6-1/16" long.

Funny that - I wondered why the two dead armatures, one C39, one C40, looked just about identical in dimensions.

Rob