Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Errol62 »

Still 14x1.25mm thread but flat shoulder with washer, rather than tapered seat.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:49 pm You sure it isn’t a 173 202 head? Just the plug seats look square in that photo.

Its a HR era 179/186 head , the casting number is 7429461 - low comp head seeing as its boosted. I kept my 149 head for a naturally aspirated build in the future.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yep definitely HR then. The photo just looks like the later plug seat but obviously not.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Yep, HR 186 head.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Was hoping to fire it up today but was beaten by time and a leaky ( brand new) water pump Image
Got the tailshaft in , gearbox filled with oil, distributor in , coil in , carby on, changed the rocker cover out to my old speedway one that I know clears the rockers, wiring sorted, radiator and hoses rigged up, got about 8 litres of water in and then it went pear shaped ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Try again tomorrow after a trip to Auto 1 Image

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

I have the same issue, 14 litres in the chev and custom radiator and the water pump leaks through the paper gasket !!

Had it off twice with sealer then discovered the gasket absorbs the fluid and lets it weep out.

GRRRRRRR !!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

This one was leaking past the seal 🙄🙄

gledge

Post by gledge »

They are some nice looking pipes on that thing mate..

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gledge wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:23 pm They are some nice looking pipes on that thing mate..

Yeah a mate of mine - Brodie on the forum - made them for me , 13/4” primaries , biggest I could find was 15/8” off the shelf.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Well , today was the day - replaced the Long Dong brand Ching Chong water pump with another Long Dong brand pump seeing as you can’t buy an Aussie brand anymore ImageImage
Had to make a trip off the hill this morning to pick up some FJ bits as well
Dropped the blower drive pulley off as well as you couldn’t see the timing marks on the harmonic balancer Image

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Refilled the radiator, hooked up the fuel and battery - wound it over with the plugs out and an airline with 20PSI jammed in the dipstick tube to get the oil pump primed

Plugs in, fuel connected , nek minnit

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Fired straight up, solid oil pressure, unplugged the vacuum advance to bring the timing back a bit , but got to 120 in about 5 minutes ImageImageImage exhaust glowing on the back potsImage

Blacky

Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

Shit it down , let it cool off , pulled the plugs expecting it to be lean AF but the plugs look like it’s fat as if anything, fired it again and took ALL the timing out of it but still getting hot was running at zero degrees advanced and still had glowing pipes ImageImageImageImage

While waiting for it to cool down again sorted the bonnet striker out - used the top radiator support brace that I had scrapped earlier- appears it might work after all.

Two steps forward, one step back………
At least it’s progress

briby
State: VIC

Post by briby »

Well done Blacky, she's running, mmmm glow in the dark :wtf:, a bit of fine tuning by the look of it.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.