Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 am
WesternWagon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm What’s with the different rocker arms?
They are off my old speedway motor , 1.6 on the inlet , 1.5 on the zorst
Higher ratio = higher lift on the inlet side? I would have thought more exhaust gas volume to get rid of, so higher lift on the 'zorst side?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Blacky wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 am
WesternWagon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm What’s with the different rocker arms?
They are off my old speedway motor , 1.6 on the inlet , 1.5 on the zorst
Higher ratio = higher lift on the inlet side? I would have thought more exhaust gas volume to get rid of, so higher lift on the 'zorst side?

Cheers,
Harv
Yeah me too mate , but me mate is a mechanic and I am a sparky .......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You should get a bit better torque/tractability with the flow restricted slightly at exhaust. Let’s face it flow and power are not likely to be an issue with your induction system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got the old tart back from Brodie's workshop -Advanced Race Fabrication - turns out the young fella knows a thing or 2 !!!

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Wow, schmicko welding & pipe routing there Blacky!

That's a handy skill he's got, especially if he doesn't have an expensive mandrel bender.

Is it TIG on stainless pipe?

Cheers,

John
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

59wagon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 am Wow, schmicko welding & pipe routing there Blacky!

That's a handy skill he's got, especially if he doesn't have an expensive mandrel bender.

Is it TIG on stainless pipe?

Cheers,

John
Yeah mate, tigged 3" Stainless for the exhaust and mild steel 13/4" primaries on the extractors into twin 21/4" into a 3" collector - will be pulling the extractors out tonight and dropping them off to CIC tomorrow to get ceramic coated. :thumbsup:

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

That looks great Mr Black and I can recommend CIC they did a great job on my headers and also on the FC 305 headers that I fitted, and on top of that at a price that I thought was pretty reasonable.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Stop distracting Brodie from the special job that he’s doing on my van. Nice work by the way.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very nice exhaust system. You’ll be able to stick your head up the tail pipe to check the tune.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Gotta love big bore exhaust,

You know that the noise gets better as you get older, deafness is natures muffler. !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg
So many cars so little time!
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

nice mate... he does seem to know a thing or 2... and the Trev that van was looking good last time i was there.

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

is the motor back in?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gpi wrote:is the motor back in?
Sadly no - I have been waiting near on 6 months for my blower drive pulley to come back from the guy I bought the kit from as I wasn't happy with the crank trigger setup . The new setup means the whole thing is 40mm shorter which helps with radiator clearance .
Haven't made much progress at all lately, done a bit of panelwork that's about it Image
Repairing old accident damage - need to sort out the inner guard damage so big tyres will go under Image
This area was also the only part of the car which had rust so sorting that out as well - probably because there were no drain tubes on the aerial holes and the water would pool behind the rear wheel

gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

hopefully you get it back soon and he doesnt throw his toys out of his cot

keeping the drums on the back?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gpi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:12 am hopefully you get it back soon and he doesnt throw his toys out of his cot

keeping the drums on the back?
Yep - that's the new diff in there ,VS Commode 3.45:1 LSD - is narrowed to 1320mm or somewhere around there and discs would have fouled on the springs. Brakes are VS and restudded to HQ-WB stud pattern , will be P76 rotors with HZ calipers on the front on HQ stubaxles