Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

Whatever they sell at Veales
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:53 am
Mick wrote:
Blacky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 am Did a bit on the rattler and the VS as well , the drop spindles I have had for years are finally making their way onto a car, but of course they don’t fit ImageImage
I shouldn’t be surprised I guess …. What kind of a moron designs a spindle with 2 mounting positions but only one of them can be used ???? ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i've fitted probably a dozen sets of dropped stubs never had an issue
You must have had the steering arms on the bottom hole every time, or HQ short arms are a different shape to all the other ones…

not sure, i do know that they are a bigger drop than 2" when used on a car that should be 13" wheels, i asked Rod about it once he didn't know there was a height difference between 13" and 14" stubs and said the 2" drop is based off a 14" stub so when replacing a 13" stub it's nearly a 3" drop
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got the ball joints in yesterday, finished off the sway bar links , refitted all the front end stuff apart from shocks because I don’t have any

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

After al this time I finally got the front end together and out of the 17495 wheels I have in the shed not one of the bastards fit ImageImageImage so I did my narna and pulled the drop spindle out and they STILL don’t fit ImageImage must be the offset of the P76 rotors , the caliper hits the inside of the rim, the only thing that clears the caliper is a commodore rim but it hits the top wishbone ….. FML
I ordered a pair of rims from BCI , hopefully they will fit Image

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Handbrake cable rocked up today , and of course it didn’t fit either Image

The ends wouldn’t fit through the tubes into the rear drums , had to linish them up until they did , hopefully they don’t break….

Underneath is getting pretty close , brake hoses , clutch and fuel line and that ought to be about it

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hey mate there's a wheel missing !!!

Floor pan looks good and original ?

Chugging away, good stuff.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

What did you order blacky? Less backspace no doubt. The P76 hubs decrease track don’t they?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 am What did you order blacky? Less backspace no doubt. The P76 hubs decrease track don’t they?
Yeah , 15 x 6 with a 31/2"backspace. The P76 rotors do decrease track width , they also move the rim closer to the caliper so now a standard HQ rim doesnt fit , I also have a 15"standard Chev rim , that doesnt fit either , needs to have a proper 15"rim centre not a stepped rim.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:32 am Hey mate there's a wheel missing !!!

Floor pan looks good and original ?

Chugging away, good stuff.

Greg
Yeah , this car is super solid , surprising when you see the outside of it :ebiggrin:

BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Looking good. As others have said looks very tidy underneath. Very cool freshen up

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got sidetracked in the shed today , picked up a motor, gearbox and a Wade supercharger for Craig Allardyce a month or 2 ago , sent him the blower and associated bits , which left a motor and gearbox lying around getting in the way. Was going to whizz the head off and if it was +.060” it was going in the scrap bin as I had no luck selling it or giving it away.
I pulled the rocker cover off and it was as clean as a whistle in there so I yanked the side covers off and it was the same in there so we bolted a starter motor onto it and gave it a compression test which was 110-130 with #4 at 150 so I found a set of manifolds , a carby and a dizzy and we kicked her in the guts Image
Runs like a bought one so will keep the motor and turf the box ImageImage

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then did a bit on the rattler, got into knocking up a throttle bracket ….. did a bit of CAD work then transferred to some patio tube

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Chopped and bent , drilled and Linished until I had this ….

Then the boss enticed me inside with steak , veggies and Gentleman Jacks Image , will finish it later Image

FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Wicked efforts!
Drew
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Am enjoying following this thread, thanks Blacky.

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress