Dress ring /hubcap tool

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Dress ring /hubcap tool

Post by Harv »

This one is a bit of an odd question.

When dress rings are fitted, most hubcap tools tend to "bottom out" on the dress rim before they get enough leverage to pop the hubcap. This means the dress ring has to come off first, then the hubcap (in order to prevent denting the dress ring). According to the old boy, there was a "bent" hubcap remover available (maybe NASCO, probably aftermarket) that would allow the hubcap to be levered off without removing the dress ring. It wa available around the EH era.

Does this ring bells with anyone? I've tried googling, but cannot find anything. Would love to buy or make one, as the old boy's EH Prem project is now underway.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
vmx-mxr

Re: Dress ring /hubcap tool

Post by vmx-mxr »

G'day Harv

My dad had a really neat slide hammer for getting the caps off. I'll have a dig and see if it's still in a box of old tools or three that I brought home when we cleared his estate and if I hit paydirt I'll let you know. If not they would be a very easy thing to make with a straight bar lever.

Then of course there are the Gucci USA models - www.otctools.com/products/hub-cap-removal-tool

The slide hammer was great, quick and didn't damage the caps at all.

Dave Mac
Harv

Post by Harv »

The slide hammer version sounds like one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-SEA ... SwT01bMFfd

The FE/FC boys have identified the one I am thinking of: NASCO 7406866:
http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=27216.0

One of the gents has a repro one at home, which I will take some measurements of and make one up.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Looks like the gentleman who owns the hubcap remover has one, but it is different from the NASCO 7406866.

Looks like it's time for more Harv reverse-engineering (if I can work a Norman out, a hubcap remover should be easy). All I've got to work from is a dodgy sketch that some GMH artist did 50 years ago for an Accelerator magazine. 'Course, nothing says I can't assume it's close to scale:
7406866.png
7406866.png (30.97 KiB) Viewed 459 times

Think I've got some 1/2" barstock at home. Time to give the press a workout :mrgreen: .

Cheers,
Harv
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Good one Harv. Show us how you do it 😀