REAR DIFF Shafts

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

REAR DIFF Shafts

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi All - wondering where is the best source for rear axles - looking to upgrade to an LSD rear centre and on inspection one of my current shafts are a bit suss so might just bite the bullet and do both.

Going to stay 10 spline as only running the grey without any crazy power additions but interested what thoughts are on that also. - should I look to upgrade that to a 28 spline or other at same time?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv
State: NSW

Re: REAR DIFF Shafts

Post by Harv »

For a (relatively) stock grey that is not being abused, I'd put a Parts Wanted ad on the forum, looking for either a full banjo or a shaft. I'd imagine that getting a set of new axles made up would be very, very pricey.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

by the time you purchase flogged out LSD banjo centre and have it recoed you can have a Commodore diff shortened but I reckon an LSD is overkill unless you are doing a lot of off roading ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yeah having a car restored is overkill full stop but I'm mainly wanting an LSD to get the two wheel traction for grassy areas etc - this cr not do a lot of dirt roads at least for a while.

I found a record centre when I first got it and had that put in but was a bit disappointed when they pulled the shafts and they were ok for a once in a blue moon driver but for a car doing a bit of highway miles may end in tears so thought while the centre is pretty new condition I could replace it with the Harrop LSD which they say should be ready this week _put a new set of ring and Pinion in it that suits highway travel and a bit of around town and just update the shafts and bearings so it's solid and reliable.

This was a farm ute that although had only done 32,000 miles the drive train was pretty badly worn due to the red dirt and mud from the area it lived - I could get another banjo and rebuild from Scratch I guess and just sell mine off as it is but It's had all new brake cylinders and lines and all seals and bearings done so thought it better to use what I had?

I'm in no hurry as it wont be back on the road for a few months yet.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

There should be plenty of stock axles floating around, are you in a club ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

FJWALLY wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 amI could replace it with the Harrop LSD which they say should be ready this week
Mmmm... Harrop slippery centre. I woosed out on buying a Harrop centre. Told myself that the Meth Monster was too traditional for an 80's type diff (though methinks the cost also frightened me a little). If you go down this path, I'd love to see photos of the centre.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Blacky I have tried to join the Vic FB EK club a few times but dont get a response from the email listed - would love to join though

Harv I will take some pics for sure and post up for all to see - It's a luxury for sure but a hidden one so I figured it wont detract from the overall theme of things I'm building - might just bundle up the current centre and put with all the other original bits in case I ever sell.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Try ringing Bill on 0419 351 234 mate , I dont think the Vic club are real big on the internet/computer stuff :lol: