Any brake gurus on here ????

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Any brake gurus on here ????

Post by Harv »

The residual check valve is only there to keep a poofteenth of pressure on the cups, so that any leaks result in fluid leaking out, rather than air leaking in. They will have a tendency to make the You-and-I brakes drag slightly. To get at the check valve, pull the piston and rest of the guts out of the master. At the end of the master cylinder spring closest to the radiator there will be a small domed metal bit, that looks kinda like the top of an old glass salt-and-pepper shaker. This is the residual check valve.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 am The residual check valve is only there to keep a poofteenth of pressure on the cups, so that any leaks result in fluid leaking out, rather than air leaking in. They will have a tendency to make the You-and-I brakes drag slightly. To get at the check valve, pull the piston and rest of the guts out of the master. At the end of the master cylinder spring closest to the radiator there will be a small domed metal bit, that looks kinda like the top of an old glass salt-and-pepper shaker. This is the residual check valve.

Cheers,
Harv
Thanks Harv , so I have to pull the bloody thing apart again and rebleed ......... :roll:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Thanks Harv , so I have to pull the bloody thing apart again and rebleed .........

Not really Blacky, the residual valve will only hold the brakes on for a while, usually this will happen when you are boosting.

If it works ok and there is no holding on don't worry about it.

Regard Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:28 pm Thanks Harv , so I have to pull the bloody thing apart again and rebleed .........

Not really Blacky, the residual valve will only hold the brakes on for a while, usually this will happen when you are boosting.

If it works ok and there is no holding on don't worry about it.

Regard Greg
The brakes aren't boosted and we have run out of time so its going the way it is , will post up some pics a bit later of what we have been up to :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.