alternator

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

alternator

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Hi
I am running 305 chev twin elec fans have a 120amp regulator battery in the boot HEAVEY duty wire to starter (but how heavey should I go with wire from alternator to battery in boot ) it has been sugested 10 gauge but dosen't seem big enough over the distance not running air con or power windows ( I would rather over enginer than under )
Thanks
"DUMBO" BILLY
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Re: alternator

Post by EK283 »

Hey there Billy,

You could run your alternator wire to the starter where the battery wire connects to and use the gauge to suite the alternator max output, this way you don't have to run the cable size up for voltage drop going all the way back to the boot.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That’s what I did with the blue motor in my EK 215 Billy and Greg. Used about an 18mm cable from pos to starter. Same diameter to earth battery negative to adjacent tail light attaching stud and starter to bellhousing bolt to inner subframe leg to no 1 body member attaching nut. I ran the power cable through a grommet in the corner where floor, firewall and trans tunnel meet. Down the side of the tunnel then out to the side under the seat, under scuff plate and in to the boot. The battery was a larger one than normal and lasted more than six years of daily use. The handling improved noticeably.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Billy;
I did what Greg did with the alternator output wire on my V6 FC Sedan ran it to the starter and have no problems with charging the battery in the boot.

Regards
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
BILLY BLACKARROW

I am a ex printer so I dont understand 12v elec---- how dose 12v run in both diarections at the same time ??? A sketch may help and more details .
Again
DUMBO BILLY
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Specially with the older cars Billy, you can think of all the wiring connected to the positive side of the battery and the body connected to the negative side. (We won’t mention positive earth pommy cars). Between the positive/wiring side and the negative/ body side are all the things that use or generate power. These things are said to be in parallel to each other because they are all at the same energy level or voltage. ( when two or more components are connected together they are said to be in series. An example is electric motor and switch. But you can think of the group of components in series bring one component in parallel. )

Now all the wiring on the one side is at the same potential energy level or voltage and the body on the other side is at a different level. This being the case means that you can take or deliver energy anywhere between wiring and body, as long as it is connected to the battery terminals (no open switches).

Hope this helps although probably not.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Billy,
It is not easy to get your head around electricity, a quick analogy is that 12 volt is constant meaning its there all the time. Current is what actually flows hence the rating. So if your lights for example are on current flows through the circuit from positive to negative using current amps.

Your battery cable is only large due to the curent draw from the starter but it is constant 12 volt. Also the further away the battery the bigger the cable to keep the 12volts available. Your alternator is 12 volt and pumps current back into the battery via the battery cable because the current wants to travel positive to negative keeping it excited and charged.

Example 1, your car running draws a total of lets say 30amps, ignition, radio, lights, fans etc but your alternator charges @ 60 amp your battery will accept the 30amps from the alternator. The other 30 amps are being used by the car.

Example 2, your car running draws a total of lets say 70 amps, ignition, radio, lights, fans etc but your alternator charges @ 60 amp your battery will eventally run flat because it is loosing 10 amps from the current draw.

It is confusing and hard to explain but connecting from the alternator to the battery terminal on the starter is the norm in most cars. Also you need the alternator that is designed for one wire charging (internal regulator) otherwise it gets more difficult in relation to voltage regulation and connections.

Hope this helps

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
BILLY BLACKARROW

I don't understade fully but I will do as you (that know more ) say---- this forum and the people on it are the one's that keep our cars out of the scrap yards,
Thanks for your help I am sure I will need again before I am on the road.
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW