My new project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Jonty
State: SA

My new project

Post by Jonty »

hi everyone

New member to this forum. I stumbled across it as a result of googling information about my new project - a 1960 FB Special Sedan. I guess you can call it a barn find, given I found it in a barn... Its been sitting there for 20 years and was driven in. Someone had started to strip it, but all the chrome and trim, door cards etc are in the boot. Seems to be very solid despite the surface rust. The windscreens (front and rear) had been removed years ago so its pretty dirty inside and the parcel shelf vinyl has perished, but otherwise it seems to be in really good condition. All i've done so far is place the glass back in, cleared the cobwebs, sweep the floors and remove a massive rats nest from under the rear seat...

I plan to restore it to new-ish condition and original-ish spec except where it's too hard to find the parts or it's cost prohibitive. Wont be a show car, but I like the idea of driving it somewhere when I'm not in a hurry on a summers day. I've never restored a car before but I'm reasonably mechanically minded, so I'm keen to do as much of it myself if possible. The forum has already provided heaps of good information and advice, so hopefully my dumb questions are kept to a minimum!

Few pictures below.

Cheers, Jonty
Attachments
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Jonty

Re: My new project

Post by Jonty »

more photos...
Attachments
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg (130.26 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg (152.54 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg (160.05 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Great find Jonty. I hope you don’t find too much rust in the lower sections. There aren’t too many bits you can’t get or make these days. Welcome to th eforum.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Jonty,
Good score with the wheels. Nice to see there are still cars to be unearthed and people who appreciate them. Look forward to seeing more pics and reading about your progress. Plenty of help on here. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum mate, thought that was pics of 2 different cars there at first !!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Hi Jonty, welcome to the forum. I picked up the same year and model car at the start of the year and working towards getting it back on the road, so we can learn together :) .

You've got some fun ahead of you and, as others have said, some great people willing to share their knowledge on this forum. Don't worry about asking dumb questions, I've asked heaps :roll: .

Cheers,

John
bumper
State: TAS

Post by bumper »

Was that in shepperton?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wanker????
I'd rather consider myself as an "owner operator"!!

FBEKHOLDENFANS page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253705454864/
Mick Jagger
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Mick Jagger »

Welcome Jonty
looks like a nice find ,looking forward to seeing progress :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kmawic
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

No bumper - was in SA.
bumper
State: TAS

Post by bumper »

Ok cheers, was sent pics of one in shep and man he wanted big $$$, good pick up and good luck with the resto :thumbsup:
wanker????
I'd rather consider myself as an "owner operator"!!

FBEKHOLDENFANS page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253705454864/
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Welcome Jonty to the forum.
You will find plenty of help here and lots of experience on rebuilding your car.

Cheers
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

So ive started stripping the car down, the it is beginning to reveal its secrets. I've found a bit of rust in the body shell at the top of the rear screen.
The attachment IMG_0665.jpg is no longer available
I guess that needs to be cut out?

Also the left front gaurd has been bogged up in the bottom rear, and there's a few holes around the headlight.
The attachment IMG_0690.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0691.jpg is no longer available
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg (992.91 KiB) Viewed 606 times
I'm not sure what to do about the headlight rust, but I think I'll have to cut the bottom bit out and replace it with a new panel part (from Rares or Taylors I think). I have a MIG but I'm a novie welder - is it something that I should be able to tackle with a bit of googling?

Any advice appreciated.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Im still a novice with posting pictures on this forum too! Here are the other photos...
Attachments
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg (706.09 KiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg (560.48 KiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 605 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It is all fairly typical jonty. For the window opening you will be best to cut it out. Depending on the extent and complexity of the bit you remove you could make up a patch, fold a bit in the vice or cut a section out of a good roof. Patch panels are available for the guard rust.

It takes practice and a decent mig to get an acceptable result. It is only steel though and if you don’t get it right you can grind it out and try again. Tig and oxy are better for some jobs according to the experts. I am still learning myself and manage to get consistent results with the Lincoln 150 amps I think it is, gas mig.

I have a couple of roof cuts if you want to come and hav3 a look some time.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Jonty,

The sheet metal-worker at work gave me a few hints about welding thin-gauge sheet-metal. Here they are -

1. Use a quenching block behind the site to be welded. A piece of aluminium, brass or copper, thicker than 1/8", is what you need. The quenching block takes the heat away from the weld quickly, so less distortion. It also holds the puddle of molten steel in place, so you don't blow as many holes in the weld.

2. When doing a long butt-weld, make a series of tack welds every couple of inches first. Then, arm yourself with a damp cloth and a hammer and dolly. (You can even use the dolly as the quenching block, but welds tend to stick to a dolly.) Resist at all costs the temptation to lay a continuous weld once you've tacked the repair in place. Choose a place, and lay in about an inch of weld. While it is still glowing, give it a few hits with hammer and dolly to relax the weld. Then hit it with the damp cloth until it is cool enough to touch. Choose another site about six inches away. Put in an inch of weld, peen it, and cool it. Bit by bit, "stitch" the seam together.

3. Don't use a grinding wheel to grind the weld down after it's complete. Sounds odd, I know. Instead, use sanding discs (36 grit) and a rubber backing disc with an angle grinder. Go in very lightly, and don't spend time grinding one spot away. Heat is the enemy here. If the weld becomes hot to touch, let it cool. If the sanding disc gets blunt, chuck it and use a new one. They're only a dollar or two each.

The rust holes in the guard eyebrow are fairly easy to fix. You'll need to use a quenching block behind. You want to draw a circle of weld around the crater first. Do this in short bursts of a second or so, just until the puddle freezes. Then you can "colour in" the hole in the middle. Dress the weld down, and if you do it right, you won't even need to use filler. Just make certain that you're not trying to weld a lead-wiped joint. (I didn't think FB/EK guard eyebrows are lead-wiped, but the colour of the metal doesn't look entirely like steel to me.)

If you're a newbie at welding thin sheet, see whether you can get a few strips of 1.2 mm mild steel from a sheet-metal workshop, and practise butt-welding them together. This'll help you get the wire feed speed and current right. I'd suggest 0.6 mm wire.

Best of luck,

Rob