Harv's meth monster project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Harv's meth monster project

Post by Harv »

Not much more in the way of “fancy” stuff for the rotating assembly. The lifters will use standard GMH items, refaced if needs be, with the little buckets pressed in to them to suit the angle the Repco pushrods run on (the buckets come with the repro head). According to the lumpy humpy guys you can run &*#@ lifters, though I’m not sure of the advantage other than availability (I’ve got plenty of grey lifters, so haven’t bothered researching the specific model of &*#@ lifter used). I’ve seen some of the lumpy humpy lifters get cross-drilled to lighten them. John Brown had the jig for doing this, though I no longer know where the jig lives (see below):
Lifter jig.jpg
Lifter jig.jpg (293.53 KiB) Viewed 645 times
The lightening would lower the reciprocating mass, lowering the amount of energy consumed in spinning the motor and giving faster rev response. My gut feel is that my lifters are going to be under enough stress with the buckets that lightening is not a great idea.

Standard pushrods are allegedly able to be used with the repro Repco heads, though I am intending to get some moly pushrods made up, similar to the concept I investigated here: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=21480

Steel timing gear set gets an automatic “tick” for the reasons I listed here: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=13931.

Bumpstick has been ground to a Norman-specific recipe brewed up by Clive Cams… analysis of what that means is on page 10 of my Norman thread: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... am#p225174. I’d love to use the end of the cam to drive the Hilborn fuel injection pump, by spigot drive through the timing cover. This would be a lot easier with an ally timing cover, but I have not been able to lay my hands on one (still looking for one). I’ve got a few more options (drive the pump off the crank by belt, drive the pump off the angled magneto drive, or drive the pump off the back of the supercharger), so not in a panic yet.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Harv, there was a bloke casting alloy timing covers on Facebook last year , I bought one but the cam gear doesnt fit in it , and it has no seat area for the crank seal - I am not sure if anyone bought one has got it to a usable state ? I bought one and its just a shed ornament at the moment , I will probably never use it - I will take a pic and post it up here if you want ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 am Harv, there was a bloke casting alloy timing covers on Facebook last year , I bought one but the cam gear doesnt fit in it , and it has no seat area for the crank seal - I am not sure if anyone bought one has got it to a usable state ? I bought one and its just a shed ornament at the moment , I will probably never use it - I will take a pic and post it up here if you want ???
Thanks Blacky - please do post a photo. I heard that the guy was casting them, but I don't do Facebook, and missed the boat. How heavy is the wall thickness around the cam gear? I'm wondering if it is heavy enough to either mount a fuel pump to it, or stiff enough to take a doubling plate to mount a pump to. Plan is to use the older Hilborn pump that I overhauled and posted on the forum earlier:
Optimized-Hilborn pump.JPG
Optimized-Hilborn pump.JPG (690.71 KiB) Viewed 642 times
... or failing that, one of the PG150A pumps I own.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Is pretty solid but it would have to be machined quite thin to fit the cam gear in Image plus as you can see there is nothing to stop the seal going right through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

Bugger. Might be able to reverse the seal and machine a circlip groove into the crank to hold it in, but the cam gear thinness would kill me - need plenty of meat to mount a fuel pump. Did the bloke who made them offer a refund?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I didnt ask mate, its just wall art in the shed now - fairly pricey wall art :crazy:

Harv

Post by Harv »

Got to thinking about the maximum bore size that I can achieve with sleeving. The sizing may well end up limited by the size of the head gasket cylinder "holes". There is a fancy MLS gasket that will be supplied with the repro Repco head. Plan at this stage is to get the MLS gasket into my hands, do some measuring, then start the sleeving conversation with the machine shop. I could get cute and get a custom head gasket made up (eg. copper), though MLS is likely to be a little more tolerant of the abuse.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

The oiling system in the grey motor could probably be left well-alone. The system operates without a filter, and relies on frequent oil changes to remove any crap from the oil. The meth monster is going to live its life 12 seconds (...perhaps more like 14 seconds :oops: ) at a time, so long term oil quality is not a big drama. It is (relatively) simple to install either a bypass filter, or full-flow oiling (like the red motor), which was discussed here:

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... co#p137227.

What has caught my eye though is that I have managed to aquire a dry-sump pump that was included with one of the Normans I bought. Buggered if I know who made it, as my attempts to identify it failed:

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... co#p214967.

What I do know is that it is a single stage system – one part of the pump for sucking out oil, and one part of the pump to repressurise that oil to feed the motor. In most dry sump pumps there are multiple “sucking out” (scavenge) stages. The multiple stages allow you to suck out oil from different areas of the sump – a pickup at the back for when the oil sloshes rearwards on acceleration, a pickup at the front for collecting oil during breaking, pickups at the side for oil sloshed during cornering etc.. The single stage system only allows oil to be picked up from one place. This is ideal for me, as I intend building a drag vehicle – all the oil should collect at the back of the sump, no cornering to worry about. So to keep myself entertained, I figure on running a dry sump on the meth monster.

The drysump plumbing is pictured at the last link above. I’ve got most of the bits and all the fiddly adaptors, though haven’t bought the oil cooler yet (the cooler is a bit of overkill, but in for a penny, in for a pound). Aiming on running hard lines for the plumbing, with two short hose ends to allow the engine to rock. Have got all the lines and fittings, and have the flare dies to make the AN/JIC double flares.

Cheers,
Harv
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Subscribed!!!

I’ll be following this build closely in preparation for the little hambster donk.

A few points and correct me if I’m wrong but I think the fastest full bodied car was captain nitrous which ran I think a high 12. This record was broken late last year by Mark Reik in his turbo’d and fuel injected humpy Ute. He ran a 12.78 but pretty much grenaded the motor and has just finished having the new motor built.

Secondly for pushrods I cannot recommend the guys at Jet Engineering highly enough.

I’m really looking forward to seeing this build progress

Cheers

Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks BS. I want to do a little more research on grey motor top speeds/fastest times. Might start a thread over on the Motorsport forum.

Appreciate the contact for pushrods.

Cheers,
Harv
BS

Post by BS »

That sounds like a good idea and another thread to subscribe to.

Keep up the good work Harv. Always a good read when you get involved

BS

Post by BS »

Harv wrote:
Steel timing gear set gets an automatic “tick” for the reasons I listed here: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=13931.
Harv, with master engineering no longer around and the guys in Sydney who bought all the patterns and tooling no longer reproducing these, who can you get the steel timing gear sets from these days?

Harv

Post by Harv »

BS wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 amHarv, with master engineering no longer around and the guys in Sydney who bought all the patterns and tooling no longer reproducing these, who can you get the steel timing gear sets from these days?
Restocountry Spares
45 Levanswell Road
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3189
(03) 9532 5806
www.restocountry.com.au

Do you have any details on when/where Mark ran the 12.78? Tried some googling, but nothing online that I can find.

Cheers,
Harv
BS

Harv's meth monster project

Post by BS »

Yeah it’s on the social media side of the web which I know you stay away from (tbh you’re not missing out on much)

Anyway here is his timesheet from the run. I can vouch for it as I was in the stands seeing what he would do. Lots of money and development in his Ute but this run pretty much lunched it. It will be interesting to see what the new combo does.

BS

Post by BS »

Harv wrote:
BS wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 amHarv, with master engineering no longer around and the guys in Sydney who bought all the patterns and tooling no longer reproducing these, who can you get the steel timing gear sets from these days?
Restocountry Spares
45 Levanswell Road
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3189
(03) 9532 5806
www.restocountry.com.au

Cheers,
Harv
Thanks for that I’ll get onto them. Looks like the are just the single steel gear ala Speco and not a matched set including the crank gear and thrust plate?