1959 Studebaker Lark

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

1959 Studebaker Lark

Post by thebrotherj »

Without even trying, I recently stumbled upon the exact year model & the very particular body style Studebaker Lark... that I’ve wanted to own for many years now.

After attempting to import one via a sketchy agent/website, at substantial cost back in 2012/13, I gave up and went for an EK Sedan instead - that car was The HOF, the thread for that build is still up in the My FB/EK gallery and makes mention of my failed attempt at buying the Stude.

While I was surfing Ebay last week for a cheap roller/unfinished project car to house the ex-Chev Impala driveline that my brother and I have wound up with... I spotted this car under a listing titled ‘Collector Car’. I quickly figured out that his ad wasn’t appearing when I searched EBay using the words ‘Studebaker’ or ‘Lark’.... then wondered that it might go completely under the radar.

So I waited and watched and sure enough, the auction ended without there being a single bid. So I called up the owner.

Lovely older bloke answered, telling me how he paid a pretty penny to bring it over from LA last year but soon after, developed heart troubles, then decided he should move the car on before he starts pulling it apart, fearing he’d have a hard time selling it in pieces if his condition got worse.

Bit of a sad story, but I couldn’t believe what was unfolding: the precise car I wanted, already in the country, with the all important Federal Government stamped import papers included... and a bloke who straight out tells me how much money he wants for it. And I’m not telling how little that sum was - I feel guilty enough as it is.

So I hit the road in my little Mirage at 5am Saturday morning, balling the jack 8.5 hours cross country to find this scene waiting for me at the other end:

Oh and I’m not superstitious, but there is definitely something weird/serendipitous going on with the original California number plates being so close to the HOF plates of my aforementioned EK Sedan:

After a very thorough inspection (the only rust is in the LHF/R floorboards & bubbles in both lower front fenders) I bought it, no haggling, no hesitation.

Soon, I’ll be trailering the Stude home and putting it into storage until I’m ready. The shell on this car is so damn good, I reckon it’s gonna be my ‘forever after’ car. In the meantime, I gotta finish Leroy the Ute!

Anyway, there ya have it. Still can’t believe this is happening! ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Re: 1959 Studebaker Lark

Post by Errol62 »

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Thats cool :glasses: :glasses: Brother J seems there is a god out there (somewhere I suppose :shock: ) and that number plate mate is just too much of a coincidence, congratulations, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger when the opportunity comes along.

Make sure you post photos of its rebirth when you start it mate.

Regards
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

I am sooo drooling . . .

Sidevalve six. Chrysler?
But I notice good solid old Delco-Remy electrical components.

Now, when Dad was over in California for a sabbatical in 1975, we bought a '63 Dodge Coronet station wagon from an ex-pat Aussie: TCP 520. I still have the number plates.

Rob
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Sidevalve six. Chrysler?

Thats a Stude engine and they run them for many years !

The V8's were 259 and 289 and everybody thinks they are a &*#@ engine. Stude was very in front of their time, superchargers, hill holders cross flow fresh air vents, disc brakes etc etc Unfortunately bad management let them down, the last cars to come to Australia were the 1966 Cruiser models, these has 283 chevs in them the only foriegn engine !!

Hey Joe funnily enough I have some diff spares for the Stude as well !!!!

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I believe the police used them so there were a lot of black sedans around. Mate had a GT (if I recall correctly) coupe. RHD, very rusty and decrepit unfortunately.

Do you plan to convert the steering joe?

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Studebakers are cool. Even Fozzie the Bear drove one (1951 Commander). His paint was a bit more psychedelic though :wtf: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Right place at the right time mate 👍👍
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hey Joe great buy mate !

I love Studebakers as well, the only hate is they do tend to rust actually quicker than the FB EK Holden's !!

Maybe build it into a historic racer and come race with me !!!!!!!!
WP_20171115_16_11_09_Pro-003.jpg
WP_20171115_16_11_09_Pro-003.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 947 times
Regards Greg
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Joe,

PS I'll take that unwanted driveline you know that don't you !!!!!!!!!!! :smile11: :smile11: :smile11:

Regards Greg
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

That's great Joe,
You must still be pinching yourself and asking ......... "did I really snag that"? :shock:

It appears to have all the trim, badges and can't see any dings. What size side valve six is it? What gear box is behind the donk?

Now back to that ute......... :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am Thats cool :glasses: :glasses: Brother J seems there is a god out there (somewhere I suppose :shock: ) and that number plate mate is just too much of a coincidence, congratulations, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger when the opportunity comes along.

Make sure you post photos of its rebirth when you start it mate.

Regards
Neil
Totally agree. I rang a few of my more pragmatic friends/confidants and explained the situation. They all said DO IT. I had to really scramble to make the money happen, but I'll never regret it.

Hopefully this forum will still be running when I even get around to fixing this car up! Haha, just joking... I hope
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:58 am Joe,

I am sooo drooling . . .

Sidevalve six. Chrysler?

Now, when Dad was over in California for a sabbatical in 1975, we bought a '63 Dodge Coronet station wagon from an ex-pat Aussie: TCP 520. I still have the number plates.

Rob
Isn't it a cool looking car?? I love the mix of shoebox and coke bottle styling, it's a really handsome car I reckon. The grille is the weirdest bit, but I think the single headlight situation is much prettier than the later 4 headlight.

Yeah the electrics all look familiar, I bet it all works fine. It is completely unbastardised, at a glance. The sidevalve/flathead 6 is a Studebaker design, it was used in many models for many years, I believe. I'm not sure what capacity mine is!

If it winds up at my parents' house at some point, I'll have you round for show n tell.

Cheers, Joe
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 pm I believe the police used them so there were a lot of black sedans around. Mate had a GT (if I recall correctly) coupe. RHD, very rusty and decrepit unfortunately.

Do you plan to convert the steering joe?

My knowledge of Larks in Australia isn't very strong, I wasn't sure how early they even came to Oz. Later ones were cop cars, for sure! And they even raced in the ATCC, at Bathurst too. Don't think they handled too good.

To be honest, I am not sure yet re: steering relocation. I might try to get it running as-is cos the front end is in better shape than you'd believe. If the motor and trans work, I'd rego it, then do it up as I drive. I see some great, simple kits available in the US for quick ratio steering upgrades and disc brake conversions etc, but I'm not sure about changing the existing front end from king pin to ball joints. The shape of the cross mem ber is quite irregular, so I don't think our 327 is going to drop in real easily to that.

Chatting to the old owner, we both reckon an HQ-WB era front end might work real well. Just looking at it, I can visualise the width between the rails being similar and the steering box & tie rods out front should fit well. But there's a lot of room in the engine bay, so even an HT-HG xmember with rear mount steering box will work too... or of course, I just measure it and find the closest front end from whatever make/model (any of the big 3 for all I care!) then perform a rack and pinion conversion??

The dash looks very straightforward to swap over side to side, brakes and clutch are under-floor variety in original trim so I don;t know what would happen there. Lots to work out!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Harv wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 pm Studebakers are cool. Even Fozzie the Bear drove one (1951 Commander). His paint was a bit more psychedelic though :wtf: .

Cheers,
Harv
"A bear in his natural habitat. A Studebaker!" hahaha I forgot about that :lol: