1 or 2 speed wiper motor

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

briby
State: VIC

1 or 2 speed wiper motor

Post by briby »

Hi guys, rewiring Helenor and fixing the wipers. My electrician says it has single speed motor, from research today all photos of single speed show 2 connectors, 2 speed photos show 3 connectors with some kind of electronic resistor/thingamy jig. This is the only photo i have, to me it would be 2 speed, but then again, i'm not an electrician.
engine bay mods 2.jpg
engine bay mods 2.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Bit hard to make out with all the black paint, but definitely 3 connectors.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
EK283
State: NSW

Re: 1 or 2 speed wiper motor

Post by EK283 »

Mate I'm going 2 speed.

For 2 reasons, one is the 3 terminal as you have said and the 2nd is because to have this car pass engineering in NSW it has to have 2 speed wipers.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
briby

Post by briby »

Thinking about it a bit more, i never thought about the motor being 1 or 2 speed, in the build Scoob had said his mate worked to the wee hours one night trying to get them to work, and he succeeded in having 2 speeds, but i think by playing with the internals of the original switch and getting power out from the second position. But what ever they did hasn't proved to be permanent, the switch knob/shaft feel loose and sometimes have 1 speed, both, sometimes slow speed in second position, sometimes nothing, so will be fitting a later model switch with push button washer. Thanks Greg, a bit of back up for when i see my sparky on Tuesday.
Cheers
Briby
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Hey Brian :)
That is a 2 speed wiper motor that I sent Scoob it will run 2 speeds with a Hr eh wiper switch
I have one in my FB wagon that I built I remember Scoob having trouble because there supposed to go in the engine bay not under the dash so probably had earth issues

On the wiper it has three pins labeled s1 s2 and bat s1 is for slow s2 is fast bat is for power
And on he switch if you use a hr Holden one its the two top pins are s1 and s2
I will pm you some pic of wiring / set up if you like :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
briby

Post by briby »

Thanks EK JAY, that'd be good to have the wiring diagram just for back up anyway.
Cheers
Brian
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Rebirthing and old thread but can someone tell me if you can use the two position EK switch to run a two speed wiper motor

I have the Delco single speed (two prong) motor in the ute now but got hold of a good 2 speed motor - do I need change the switch over as well?
Any suggestions? Assume I need run a second power wire from Switch to Motor as well?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You need to get the switch that comes from the same donor car I think Rob. If you don't know what car that is I would try HD HR or possibly EJ EH.

Although I have seen two position switches in some original EKs they never came out with a two speed wiper motor. It is possible the switch you have is from EJ HR if it has two positions. Note that three terminals on the switch does not necessarily prove that it is a two speed switch as it could also be for electric washer power via centre push button.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

You need a 2 speed switch eh or hr will work and the EK wiper switch knob will fit on the 2 speed switch so it looks factory on the dash you may have to drill out the whole in the dash to fit the new switch from memory it's not much you have to drill / mill out 8)
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hmmm... not sure that a two-speed switch (like HK) will turn the single-speed EK motor into a two speed unit. The switch is not set up as "two circuits of different resistance" to turn the motor faster or slower... it is two circuits of the same resistance. Most of the time the two-speed switch is coupled to a two-speed motor.

In theory you can run "two circuits of different resistance", but would need to be careful. The standard EK wiper speed is not real quick, and putting a resistor in will make the 2nd speed slower. You may not meet the NCOP requirement for 45 cycles per minute on the fast speed and 20 cycles per minute on the slow speed.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Not trying to use the orig motor Harv - Ive got a preslite two speed motor to swap in but I have a two position switch in the EK from factory - I'll pull the switch as if it has two outward circuits then in theory it should work as it's the motor circuit that has the speed correction I assume hence the second third terminal and extra circuitry?

An EH/HD sounds like a fix if that doesn't work - thanks chaps.

Is it then just one additional wire from second prong on switch to third on motor?
Harv wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 am Hmmm... not sure that a two-speed switch (like HK) will turn the single-speed EK motor into a two speed unit. The switch is not set up as "two circuits of different resistance" to turn the motor faster or slower... it is two circuits of the same resistance. Most of the time the two-speed switch is coupled to a two-speed motor.

In theory you can run "two circuits of different resistance", but would need to be careful. The standard EK wiper speed is not real quick, and putting a resistor in will make the 2nd speed slower. You may not meet the NCOP requirement for 45 cycles per minute on the fast speed and 20 cycles per minute on the slow speed.

Cheers,
Harv
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

It will be a power wire to the bat term on the wiper motor then a wire from pin 1 to switch and wire from pin 2 to switch
And earth will be the switch onto the dash
EK JAY SINCE 1990
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yes thought so - all that is there except with to pin 2 in a normally wired 1 speed EK delco motor as I understand it

EK JAY wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm It will be a power wire to the bat term on the wiper motor then a wire from pin 1 to switch and wire from pin 2 to switch
And earth will be the switch onto the dash