Steering wheel repair

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

Steering wheel repair

Post by 59wagon »

Hi again. Before I removed my steering wheel a few weeks ago, I noticed it had a few cracks and on removal a few bits fell off

I’ve read some posts on how to fix cracks with “Knead It” and thought I’d give it a go but, I’m just a little concerned with the integrity of the wheel. Is that large piece that fell off structural? I’m hoping that the centre metal hub casting is connected to the outer wheel with metal ie. the whole wheel structure is a metal casting and then covered in plastic (or whatever it is) for looks and feel.
I could drill a couple of holes to check but rather not, hoping someone here knows.

Cheers,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Steering wheel repair

Post by Errol62 »

I’ve seen ones on wrecks where the metal is all that is left, like after a fire. Having said that you could prolly find a better starting point than that one. Not to put you off. You seem to be able to repair anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

That’s good to know, thanks. I’d prefer to keep the original so I’ll see how the repair goes. If no good I’ll look for another. Ol’ mate on eBay had a reco’d red one for only $599 starting price a cuppla weeks ago......
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

ROFL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey john
Mate you really need to come to my place buddy I've got a steering wheel it needs some repair but I think it is maybe better then yours.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

FireKraka wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 am Hey john
Mate you really need to come to my place buddy I've got a steering wheel it needs some repair but I think it is maybe better then yours.
Neil
You're too generous, Neil. I'll at least come and borrow it to make sure I can fix mine properly and, if mine's beyond repair, I'll steal yours! I'll give you a call.

Cheers,

John
timbo.ambo
State: NSW

Post by timbo.ambo »

I realise I'm a bit late to this discussion.
When I purchased back the family EK it had this smaller wooden steering wheel on it...a good one apparently but I hated it being not the one my grandfather steered with. I asked the seller if he had the original and he did! but it was cracked in several places. I found an awesome YouTube video that stepped me through the repair and its now back on the EK and looks brilliant...if I should say so :vecctor:

If you are still at the repair stage I could go find the video again for you

Tim
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

timbo.ambo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:36 am I realise I'm a bit late to this discussion.
When I purchased back the family EK it had this smaller wooden steering wheel on it...a good one apparently but I hated it being not the one my grandfather steered with. I asked the seller if he had the original and he did! but it was cracked in several places. I found an awesome YouTube video that stepped me through the repair and its now back on the EK and looks brilliant...if I should say so :vecctor:

If you are still at the repair stage I could go find the video again for you

Tim
Thanks for that, Tim. Yep, I managed to fix it mate, but posted the repair method on my car thread. Have a look here if you want to see it.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 75#p231946

Cheers,

John